Chapter Ten

Twinkling fairy lights glowed above the young girl who was sprawled onto her back, the wooden floor digging into her spine, cold seeping through her shirt as she pressed her phone to her ear, lips being torn to shreds as she listened to Dabi's raspy voice.

"Okay Dabi I get you don't like heroes but I still have to work and go to school with them. I can't just suddenly not go to UA because this happened, I would be dumb to waste this chance." She sighed as the male grunted on the other side, not seeing things from her point of view.

"I'm just saying it won't get better, it's only been two official days and this already happened. If that isn't a red flag then I don't know what is."

Vallea's head thumped against the floor as she pinched her eyes shut, "Gee thanks, why don't you give me some more upbeat news. Or how about you just squeeze some lemon juice in my eyes instead."

Dabi laughed gruffly, "Aren't you just filled with attitude and spite today."

"Why did I even call you?" She deadpanned growing sick of his unhelpful attitude.

"Because you don't have anyone else to call."

"You got me there." She exhaled, staring at her boring white ceiling pathetically, peach eyes flickering with apathy.

"...why don't you come spend the night at my place doll, I don't like the thought of leaving you alone when you're like this."

"Dabi you're like ten years older than me, get a hint cradle robber." The girl smiled, getting him back from the last time, over the phone she could hear him sputter out deep cackles.

"You sure got some spunk right now kid, I like it when you get feisty."

"Glad my bad mood can amuse you."

Yeah, yeah so what's your answer? Are you gonna spend the night so I can keep an eye on your sad ass or not?" Vallea rolled her eyes, sitting up thinking for a second whether it was a good idea or not. It probably wasn't but she trusted Dabi more than she should.

"Fine but no funny business or I'll karate chop your ass."

"...Did little Vallea just swear and threaten me all in one sentence, you're making me worried doll. Should I expect you on the darkside in the near future?" The teen could just hear his stupid smirk through the phone as he poke fun at the girl who always tried her best not swear or say anything violent.

"Yeah well don't get used to it, now hurry up before I decide against spending the night."

"Fine, I'll be there in twenty minutes, pack everything you need for tonight and tomorrow, I don't got girl shit at my place." He ordered.

"Bye Dabi." She huffed pressing the end call button and grabbing an overnight bag. If her parents were home they would have ground her forever but they weren't....so free real estate baby.

Vallea was waiting in the living room for Dabi to arrive, scrolling mindlessly through her phone on the sofa, a backpack stuffed with everything she needed sitting next to her. She made sure to change out of her uniform, replacing it with a pair of black jogger pants and a cute T-rex hoodie. Both articles of clothing comfortable enough that she could easily sleep in them, saving her some bag room.

Knock, Knock.

She stood up, throwing her bag on and trying to pull the pastel sneakers on, jumping on one foot cursing her past self for not unlacing them.

"Coming!" She shouted, throwing her head back to try and move her hair out the way of her eyes. "Come on! Just get on my foot you stupid shoe!" She growled trying to forcefully shove her foot into the reluctant footwear. The girl teetered as she fought the inanimate object, eyebrows pinched tightly as she grumbled and grunted.