Chapter Forty-Six

The quiet rustle of clothes and cloth brushing against one another filled the eerily silent room, the doctor that had arrived only two minutes ago squirmed under Shoto's gaze that refused to leave him as he examined the girl who had slipped back into sleep. Shoto stood a few feet away from the bed, arms crossed tightly over his chest, expression icy as he studied the older man's movements and actions, prepared to intervene if he even made one wrong move.

"What are you doing?" He asked the fifth time in two minutes, tone flat and unamused, eyebrows tightly furrowed.

"I am um just checking her pulsed, Mr. Todoroki." Doctor Mori, a scrawny middle aged man with black messy curls and a crooked nose tried to appease the youngest Todoroki. Not hiding his unease well as his gaze continuously flickered around the room, never staying on one object for too long. It didn't help that his hands shook as he lightly pressed his forefinger and middle finger to Vallea's inner wrist. To say that he was intimidated by the teenager was an understatement, when he arrived at the Todoroki household he was neither expecting an extremely ill girl or to be hawked over like he was some type of criminal. Roughly he cleared his throat removing his fingers from the girl as he glanced over to the boy. "Do you know um when the... patient started showing signs of illness?"

"Yesterday evening." Shoto curtly answered.

"Uh okay, what were her symptoms?"

"She had a fever and was vomiting."

Mori removed his white stethoscope from his neck and placed the circle metal end to her chest and listened closely, face twisting up at the irregular beat. With an exhale he stepped back, his thin lips pursuing as he thought causing Shoto's worry to increase tenfold.

"What is it?" He ordered, taking a step closer.

Mori turned, and gave him a tense smile, waving off his concern."Her heart is just a bit irregular is all, it could very well be because she is dehydrated due to her vomiting spells. It's nothing too concerning." Hazel eyes observed the stricken child, watching as her chest rose up and down rapidly. "If her fever does not recede by tonight I would recommend taking her to the hospital so they can give her fluids and monitor her condition. In the meantime make sure she is sipping on water and give her some Advil to help reduce her fever."

Shoto eyed the doctor, bothered by how little of help he had provided, "Is that all? What about how her quirk is responding to this, she can heal from third degree burns, so why is she so sick?" He rapidly questioned the grown man who wrung his hands and shifted side to side.

"Quirks can be tricky, she may be able to heal from external wounds but not from internal ones. I can't know for certain-"

"So why are we paying you then, if you don't know, who does." Shoto cut the man off roughly, jaw setting, greatly annoyed how the doctor couldn't provide the answers he wanted.

Miro rose his hands up, looking meek like a frightened rodent. "I apologize but I can't know for certain because I can't do blood work and other tests that a hospital is able to do. If you are really worried then I would recommend taking her to the hospital now, there is no harm getting a few tests done to make sure everything is fine."

Lowly the boy growled, gritting his teeth, he could have saved more time just taking Vallea to the hospital instead of having this pointless doctor come over. "Fine. You are excused." And with that he turned his back to the man and pulled out his sleek black phone. Miro quickly scuttled out of the room, feeling unnerved by the stoic teenager, feeling grateful that it was over.

Shoto: Can you drive Vallea to the hospital?

Read: 5:44pm

Fuyumi: Of course, be ready in five.