Chapter 3

Love.

I suppose you could call it that. You know, that feeling you get when you see him? It’s like all of your worries disappear, and life seems to be perfect even if it’s just momentarily. Love makes you cry of laughter, but sometimes of suffering. Being in love is the biggest risk you could ever take, but it’s worth it.

That’s how Alice felt around Destery, despite their rough beginnings. Their friendship was like a diamond in the rough; at first it is jagged and unconventional, but once you get past the inconsistency and imperfections you find something truly beautiful.

At lunch, Beth and Alice met at their usual spot in the courtyard. Their other friends hadn’t yet joined them, so Beth ceased the opportunity to interrogate her friend.

“Okay spill the beans.” Beth demanded, staring Alice straight in the eye.

Alice looked confused. She had no idea what Beth was talking about, and it was obvious.

“I saw you and that new boy. KISSING. What happened to him not being your type? Don’t lie to me, Al. I’m not an idiot. You guys are together aren’t you?”

One of the worst and greatest things about Beth was that she spoke her mind, no matter how forward she might sound. It sometimes got her into sticky situations, but she was smart enough to talk her way out of it.

Alice blushed, and shook her head. “Must’ve been somebody else.” She whispered. She felt weak, as if she were about to cry. Being seen with a boy like Destery would ruin her reputation; essentially ruining her life.

“Oh you’ve got to be kidding me Alice. I’m your best friend. You HAVE to tell me about him. It’s the rules of best friends. Gosh, Alice.” Beth’s patience was drawing near its end which is potentially dangerous. Beth angry is worse than World War Three.

“Okay.” Alice said quietly, so nobody else would hear. “I kissed him on the cheek. Nothing else happened. I was being a nice friend.. he was sad..”

Beth’s eyes went wide as if she had just won the lottery. The rest of their group of friends were wandering over so Alice gestured for Beth to keep it a secret.  As their friends sat down, Alice looked at the world around her.  She was sitting under a cherry blossom tree, which was in bloom. It was a beautiful sight, but she never noticed the beauty of it before. It was something she had taken advantage of, and never really appreciated. She picked up one of the flowers that had fallen from the tree, and put it in her palm. The flower was white with pink streaks in it. The colour contrast was beautiful, and she wondered why she had never noticed before. Her petite fingers ran over the petals and it felt like velvet. She smiled, but then it hit her. She had realized why she finally noticed the beauty in the cherry blossom tree. Before she met Destery, she had been taking advantage of the finer things in life and had never taken a step back to admire the beauty surrounding her. Since she spoke to him that morning,  she had seen the world in a new light. Life wasn’t just about her, and her ‘superficial’ lifestyle as he had called it, she now knew that there was more to life than money. She felt a sense of serenity and peace wash over her. She was completely relaxed, sitting in the courtyard underneath the cherry blossom tree. If she had it her way, she would never leave from that spot.

Her friends high-pitched screeching interrupted her moment of peace.

“ALICE AND THE NEW EMO KID ARE DATING?!? EWWWWWW” Carla screamed. Everyone in the courtyard went silent. They all had heard.

“Alice you can do SO much better than that freak.” A voice yelled.

“He’s just an emo” Another person joined in.

“HE ISNT EVEN RICH.” The comments were coming from all direction. She lost track of who was saying what. Everyone was just screaming out insulting things about the person she loves.

“Have you seen his hair? It needs a serious cut.”

“Have you seen him? He needs a serious makeover.”

“Isn’t he gay? I’m pretty sure he’s the product of bestiality and incest”

Alice needed to get away from everything. She needed to be at peace once again. She craved that feeling she had felt only moments ago. She stood up and turned around, and saw Destery standing in front of her, shocked and distraught.

“Des…” She whispered. Alice could feel hundreds of eyes watching them. If she stood up for him her social life would be ruined. But if she joined in on the insults, he would harm himself because of her.

Destery didn’t say anything. He just shook his head and walked in the opposite direction.