Departure

0 days left.

Mera's P.O.V

My back was aching from sleeping on Nalda's couch, not used to sleeping on something that wasn't worth three thousand credits with lush black sheets and pillows that seemed to always be the right texture.

I sit up, my blanket falling off in the process. The Grand Admiral emerges from her small kitchen, carrying three cups of tea. She sets the platter down on the table, next to a plate of fresh bread and jam.

I rise from my sitting position, walking over to her and pulling a chair out. She laughs weakly, "It seems like it was only yesterday we first had dinner together. You were wearing that bright red dress, the strapless one." She says, slicing the bread.

"And you got drunk out of your mind." I smile, taking one of the teacups off the tray and setting it in front of me.

A few moments of silence pass by before a faint knock echoes on the door. I begin to get up but Nalda urges me to sit back down. She walks to the doors, opening them and letting whoever it was come inside.

"Mera." She says softly.

I set my tea down, turning my head and pushing my self to not cry.

Jiro walks towards the table, his lip already quivering at the sight of me. I stand up, meeting him in the middle and immediately wrapping my arms around him tightly. He sniffles, retracting and tilting his head back to suck his tears back up.

"You're okay." I breathe, wiping his cheek with my thumb.

He nods, "I'm fine."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I sigh, the three of us all sitting at the table. Nalda and I sit across from each other, Zak in the middle at the end.

He tears a piece of bread off the loaf, "I guess for the same reason Ren didn't..." He whispers, "I didn't want you to leave."

Silence.

"Do you have to leave?" He asks quietly, his eyes full of sadness.

"I do." I reply, holding the top of his hand with mine and rubbing the back of it with my thumb.

Zak laughs, wiping under his eye briefly. "Do you remember when you made Hux pee his pants at dinner?" He chuckles.

Nalda and I both giggle, nodding simultaneously. "Or when I accidentally insulted the daughters of one of the most important families in the galaxy." I add.

"How could anyone ever forget that?" Nalda sighs, sipping her drink.

She speaks again, "That entire week of getting your dresses fitted for the Gala, that was one of my favorite things ever."

We all exhale loudly, either filling the quiet with eating or drinking. "I love you two so much." I whisper, trying to focus on my eyes on something besides them to keep from crying. "I wish things could be different."

"Why do you have to leave?" Jiro says softly, "I know the Supreme Leader probably feels bad-"

"Kylo feels bad because I found out, not because of what he did." I interrupt.

He nods, taking a moment to think. "What am I going to do when you leave?"

"You'll get your own battalion, in exchange for you not bringing up what happened with Ren." Nalda answers.

His eyes widen, a small "wow" leaving his lips.

"What's that?" I ask, eyeing a folded piece of clothing.