Make A Wish

SAM'S POV

After Tyler and I chased Blake to the car, he wasn't ready to talk to us so we decided to give him space. We stood in front of the car, waiting for Mira and Bryan who came shortly after. We insisted that Tyler should drive the car but Blake wouldn't budge so we let him drive if it'll help him calm his nerves. As we drove back to our home, I decided to call Jess and ask how everything was after we left.

"Hey, sorry we had to leave. Um how...how is everything over there?", I asked quietly in case Blake wasn't interested in hearing about it. "Sam! Rue had an attack and she passed out!", Jess screamed into the phone. "She had an attack!", I screamed in panic and immediately Blake hit the brakes. "How...how is she? Is she okay?", I asked in fear as I gripped my jeans and looked at Blake who was fighting whether to grab the phone from me or not. "Yeah. Her mum is with her right now in her room. I tho she's fine", Jess said but she still sounded very worried. "Okay okay um I'll call you later", I ended the call and glanced at Blake who just stared hard at the road ahead and continued driving.

Christmas was boring as hell. No matter how hard my mum tried to lift our spirits, everything was sad. Blake wouldn't talk to anyone asides saying "Merry Christmas" and in the evening while we ate, he stayed quiet the entire time. Mum and Dad kinda guessed what happened though they don't know the story behind it but they're also pretty upset because everyone loves Rue especially after last year.

There was no video call through out the day just a few Merry Christmas texts from Jess and the others. Christmas was ruined for everyone.

"I don't know what to do mum", I sighed as I dropped my phone on the table. She sat as I continued talking, "I don't want to have to pick between my brother and my best friend but I'm being put in a position where I have to. Blake has every right to be pissed but at the same time I know Rue would've never do something like that in her right state of mind, she was upset! I'm not trying to make excuses for her but she's my best friend". "Honey, I can't tell you what to do if that's what you're asking", my mum smiled sadly. "I feel terrible mum. I haven't spoken to Rue since yesterday", I said as I glanced at my phone. "Then that technically means you're picking Blake over her. If you don't want to, then I think you should call her", she said as she put her hand on my knee and rubbed it before getting up. I looked at my phone and sighed.

"Sam?", Rue's voice rang through the phone. She sounded very tired and gentle. I smiled sadly, "Hey, sorry I haven't called. I've been...uh". "It's fine. How's....How's he?", she asked and I felt instant pity for her and Blake. "He's not doing good Rue but he'll get past it don't worry", I said with a brave voice. I heard her sniff before saying, "Okay thanks. I'm really happy you called me. I almost thought that I had lost you too. I just...". "Hey Rue. You can't lose me and you still haven't lost Blake, I promise you. We can fix this", I said definitely not thinking about the weight of my words. I just promised to fix their relationship and now, I had to because I'm the middleman in all of this and I'm not willing to lose my brother or my best friend. I pondered on those thoughts as we continued our call.

"Sam!". I turned around to see Tyler jogging towards me. "Tyler! What are you doing here?", I asked puzzled as he ran up to me. "I just thought we'd spend New Year's Eve together", he smiled and put his arm around me. "It's literally 6pm Ty. The day is already gone", I said smiling widely as we walked down the pathway to the house. "We've got 6 hours to New Year's. I can work with that", He said as we kept walking.

Everywhere was lit with Christmas trees and decorations. We got food from the drive through at KFC and drove through the city. "Ty where are we going? And why are you so fast?", I said as I ate the chicken with satisfaction. Tyler glanced at me shortly before saying, "Firstly, you'll know when we get there and secondly, if you didn't take almost 2 hours to get ready and an hour to get to the front of the drive through, I wouldn't be rushing". I laughed, "You forgot the part where after I dressed up, you couldn't take off me so we made out for about 30 minutes". "Shut up", he muttered making me laugh harder.

"Wow!", I exclaimed watching the scenery before me. "What's going on here?", I asked Tyler as we walked through the maze of people sitting on the grass and beautiful trees filled with lights. "We're here to light lanterns for the new year ahead", Tyler smiled and said over the sound of the light music. We found an empty space and sat down and someone came and handed us a lantern, torch and some sweets. I smiled as I looked around at the families and couples here all sitting and waiting for the hour to reach so they make their wishes for the year and light up their lanterns.

"This is magical! Thank you for bringing me here", I said to Tyler who just took my hands looking into my eyes and said, "I noticed that you've been really gloomy ever since the whole Rue and Blake issue, last week and I just wanted to put a huge smile on your face before the New Year's". My eyes watered as I smiled and wondered how I got so lucky. I had always crushed on Tyler because of the badass good looking footballer I saw in him but ever since I really got to know him, he has been the sweetest most considerate person ever. I knew this was the perfect time to tell him how I really felt about him even though I'm not sure he feels the same. I'll say it regardless.

"It's 11:57! Let's start lighting the lantern", Ty said as he got on his knees. I smiled as I got on my knees as well and we started setting up our lantern.

"Make a wish", he said. I smiled and closed my eyes and I wished that even though I might not be able to fix Rue and Blake's relationship, that someone else be able to. I opened my eyes to see Tyler smiling at me, "You wished for Rue and Blake too?". I smiled, "If i tell you, it won't come true". I didn't need to wish for love or happiness because I already have all of that with the guy of my dreams.

"3", the crowd started yelling.

"2", I joined

"1!", everyone screamed and we let go of our lanterns. Tyler put his arms around me as we watched the lanterns go up. "Happy New Year babe", he whispered to me. I smiled, "Happy New Year".

May this year be beautiful for us all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~