Dancing in the rain

RUE'S POV

"We're going to be doing the cheer here with the pompoms, then you guys do a front flip in and then lift your partners. We spread our legs and shake our pompoms. Then we do the diagonal switches then form the letters. Do we get it?", Gloria yelled. A game's coming up next week so we're all excited and we've been trying multiple formations. This is the first time we're appearing to the school so it has to be hugeeee!

After practice, Sam and I walked back to the apartment together. I opened the door and yelled, "Jessica! I'm starving!" But there was no response. "Weird", Sam muttered as we walked into the house and searched the kitchen and the living room. "I'll go check her room while you warm up the pizza", I said as I walked into the passage to our rooms. I knocked on Jess's door before opening. Jess was on the bed, in a really deep conversation with someone that she didn't even notice I came in. "Yeah I know you're busy with the game, I just thought we'd have our usual dinner on Wednesdays", she said quite calmly. A moment passed as the person on the other line who I guessed to be Jace was speaking. "What do you mean I'm being inconsiderate? You're the one that hasn't had time for me since Monday", she said starting to sound sad. A moment passed again before she said, "Jace, we talked about this". "Alright fine, goodnight", she said and I tiptoed out of the room silently. I walked into the kitchen to see that Sam had already put the pizza in our plates. "Is she in?", Sam asked. "Yeah, but I think she's using the restroom cause she didn't answer my knocks", I said as I picked up a slice and dove into it.

Jess walked into the kitchen in flipflops, "Oh you guys are back!", She said in her usual cheery tone and that made me think about all the times she smiled without anyone knowing what was really going on with her. "Yup, want pizza?", Sam asked handing her a slice. "Sure", she smiled and collected it. We sat and chatted about practice before Sam yawned and poured herself a glass of juice and heading out of the kitchen, "I'm tired af so I'm gonna go have an amazing shower, probably would end up sleeping in the tub". We laughed as she walked out then I turned to Jess.

"What?", She asked. "You're not going to talk to us about it?", I asked. "About what?", She faked confusion sipping her drink. "Jace", I said firmly. Her eyes shot up to meet mine, "You heard me, didn't you?". I held her hand, "Jess you really don't have to keep a lot of things in. We're your friends, that's what we're here for". She shook her head and sighed, "I know I know it's just Jace has been super occupied with the whole game thing and I knew it was gonna happen because that's just how Jace is. When he sets his head on something, he casts every other thing aside and now that he's the leader, he's so focused in the game and I don't want to be selfish by trying to take his mind off the game. I just want him to at least acknowledge that sometimes I want attention". I listened to her talk so calmly about the whole thing and I realized just how much Jace needed someone as understanding and loving as Jess. I mean, not a lot of girls would take that but she's here being all nice and non-judgemental. "The only thing we've talked about these past few days is the game and he's been doing all the talking. I don't think he knows it but he's becoming so self-absorbed that it's getting be upset", She said before keeping quiet. "Jess, you're not selfish to think that way", I started, "Trust me it's normal to feel like you should be given attention sometimes especially by your boyfriend. Jace has always been strong-willed and it's good he has someone like you to check him out once in a while". "Now I feel selfish talking to you about this. I'm complaining about my boyfriend not giving me attention but at least I get to see him. Yours is in another state and I'm pouring out my feelings to you", she chuckled. I laughed and squeezed her hand, "That's what friends are for. Besides I don't think I'd be as understanding as you are with Jace. Do you want me to talk to him?". She quickly shook her head, "No no, don't worry about that. I'll talk to him, he'll come around". I nodded and smiled, "Okay". We were about to hug when I leaned back and whispered, "I'm still sticky and smelly". Jess whispered back, "I don't care!" Then she hugged me tightly.

"Don't you have any friends?!", I asked as he sat on the grass beside me. "Yup, I've got you guys", he said as he took the pen I was using to write. I groaned and glared at him before snatching my pen back and going back to my calculations, "I mean asides us. Don't you have friends back in Canada? They don't call you?". "No", he simply said and I froze my writing and sat up to look at him. "Really? What kinda friends are those?", I furrowed my brows. He shrugged, "Well I wouldn't really say that we were friends. We were merely acquaintances cause of our families. I was home schooled by the way, so the only people my age that I knew were those of my parent's business partners cause my parents didn't have friends. Life in Canada was pretty boring". I looked at him sadly, "That's awful". He nodded and chuckled, "Yeah, I never had the whole bestfriend thing or guy nights just boring galas and dinner parties".

No wonder he wanted to be our friends so bad, he'd never had the taste of it. "Then it's a good thing you have us now cause we won't let you miss out on any of the fun anymore!", I said hugging him and smiling. He smiled back and pulled back, "Hey hey hey don't get too touchy! You have a boyfriend, remember?". I pouted, "Yeahh but I'm not cheating! I don't cheat", I said proudly. Rather than smile, he gazed at me intensely before muttering, "Didn't think you would".

I rose my brows at him before I felt a drop of water on my head. I gasped as I looked up and the rain started pouring, "Oh my God! Not again!". I quickly packed my books and put them in my bag. I ran to the nearest corridor and turned back to see Jordan still standing in the rain and smiling. "What are you doing?! Get out of the rain!", I screamed at him. He walked up to me still standing in the rain, stretched out his hand "May I have this dance?". I looked around me frantically as I whispered, "What are you doing? We aren't kids!". He smirked, "Well I missed out on dancing in the rain when I was a kid and you said you wouldn't let me miss out on the fun anymore so dance with me?". I thought about it as I looked around, thankfully no one was in sight, "Jordan I'm going to have a crazy cold after this". "Then I'll take care of you", he smiled wider.

God please let me live after this...

"Fine", I said as I put my hand in his and he pulled me into the rain smiling. "It's cold!", I smiled while yelling. "Ever heard of hot rain?", He replied as he twirled me around. As my body met his and he wrapped his hand around my waist keeping me firm against him, I felt a spark of electricity surge through me. He looked down straight into my eyes and I smiled at him. For a moment, he looked like he wasn't here anymore. "Jordan", I whispered and then he smiled. "What were you thinking about?", I asked. "You're beautiful", was all he said. We froze and looked at each other for a while before the rain became heavier. "I think it's better we leave now", I said. "I second that!", He said as we ran to the corridor. I picked up my bag and we ran, laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~