A Chance

RUE'S POV

"Welcome back to school! I'm so happy you guys are back, I was getting bored outta my head", Mrs Wendy, our art teacher said. Everyone laughed as she continued speaking. Everyone loves Mrs Wendy cause she only uses like quarter to half of her time and gives us the rest plus all we do is paint! Who wouldn't love that? I shifted my attention back to my seat partner who was busy sleeping. I chuckled as I shoved. "Hey!", Skylar groaned as he stirred awake. "This is class mister, not your bedroom", I said smiling. He glared at me before resting his head back on the table and dozing off. I rolled my eyes as I tuned in to Mrs Wendy. She walked around the classroom as she spoke, "So I figured, why not let them paint whatever they want as their final project because after this, you're obviously going to be more focused on other serious subjects". "Noooooo", everyone chuckled as she continued, "So for this project, I want you to draw a masterpiece, something absolutely beautiful and stunning".

"So she wants you to draw me", Jordan said with his legs up on the table, eating KitKat as I relayed to Skylar what he missed during class since he decided to speak. "My paintbrushes would break at the sight of you", I said snarling. "Yeah cause they can't handle my ectastic self", he replied smirking. Everyone just sat and watched as we kept bickering. "More like, they'd rather die than paint you. Same goes for me", I said back equally smirking. "Then your brushes would never get to witness my greatness and same goes for you", he replied, eyes shooting daggers. "If you are the definition of greatness then I'd rather not", I shot back immediately. "Can you guys just fucking shut up!?", Miranda groaned. "Can't you guys just get along!?", She whined. "No!", We both responded simultaneously. "She's always trying to tackle me for some reason!", Jordan yelled. I immediately clapped back, "Me? You're the one always trying to annoy me!". "I'm just trying to be friendly!", He continued. "If this is what friendly is in Canada, then welcome to America baby", I replied with a fake smile. "Alright, that's it. Take a break. Guys go with Jordan, we'll go with Rue. Regroup after they've both calmed down", Sam said hands clapping. Jordan got up and walked out with Jace and the guys while I sat with the girls. "Alright Rue, what's going on?", Jess asked as the guys walked out the door.

"Nothing", I sighed. "We know something's troubling you. You were somewhat aggressive to Jordan", Sam said. I rolled my eyes, "He deserved it!". "Rue", Jess said in a condescending tone. "Fine! Blake hasn't called or responded to my texts since yesterday and that's never happened before", I said sadly. "Rue", Miranda said as she grabbed my shoulders, "Hey, he's probably busy. You know Blake, he's maybe doing guy stuff. This kinda thing comes with the distance, you never know, okay? And I'm sure he's gonna call sooner or later so don't worry about that, okay?". I nodded quietly as Sam butted in, "Plus he's fine. I spoke to Tyler yesterday and he said Blake's alright so maybe he's got WiFi issues or something". "Okay okay", I nodded as I smiled at my friends. They smiled back and hugged me as Sam immediately spoke, "So the sign up for cheerleading is tomorrow. I already spoke to Gloria, one of my friends. Apparently there's no leader yet since the last set graduated so we're just going to butt in and shake our asses off. Got it?". "Got it", we laughed as we cheered.

"I don't see why I have to go, honestly", I whined as I threw on a hoodie over my black top. "Cause Jordan invited the entire squad!", Sam yelled exasperated. "We've been through this, all you have to do is just don't talk to him!", She continued. I groaned as I pulled on my sneakers. This is going to be a very very long night.

"Welcome to my humble abode!", Jordan smiled as he opened his hands widely. "Humble is an understatement dude! Your house is a freaking mansion", Jace yelled as the guys walked in gaping. Jordan rubbed his head shyly, "We haven't finished furnishing though". "I hadn't noticed!", Sam smiled at him before hugging him and going inside. I walked awkwardly beside Jess as she greeted Jordan and went right in. "Hey", I said. "Hi", he replied. I nodded and walked right in behind Jess. He showed us around his house which is pretty huge, I must say. "My parents reserved this living room for important visitors and stuff but we can go to my own lair", he said. "Wait you've got a lair? All I've ever wanted", Jeff said excitedly. Everyone laughed at him while I kept checking my phone constantly.

I sat quietly as we watched a movie. I kept turning to my phone till I looked up at the screen and saw a girl running through a forest with a guy chasing her. I gasped sharply as it brought me back at the forest with Noah. I started shaking visibly and Skylar immediately held me, "Rue, are you okay?". I nodded, "Yeah". Everyone turned to look at us as Jess looked back at the TV. Her eyes widened, "Oh shit!", and she quickly changed the movie. "Excuse me, I need to use the toilet. I'll be right back", I said quickly and stood up and left.

Immediately I got to a corridor, I stood shaking as I willed myself to calm down. I dialled Blake's number but it went to voicemail. I cursed as I tried Kate's number. She picked after two rings, "Rue? What's wrong? Why are you calling?". I chuckled as I spoke, "What'd you do when you're still going through trauma? Call your therapist". Her tone immediately dropped to a serious one, "Rue, did something happen?". I told her about the movie and that I felt triggered. She calmed me down saying it was just a phase and it'll pass. We spoke for a few minutes before I finally calmed down and thanked her.

I decided to walk around a bit before going back to the lair. I put my hands under my hoodie as I looked around. I saw an open door and poked my head inside. "Woah", I said as I walked into the room. It was a picture room of some sort, with pictures hung in every corner. I looked around staring the pictures one by one. I stopped at one where Jordan was probably months old and he had chocolate all over his cheeks and his hands and he had a huge smile on his face.

"I was a messy baby", I heard a voice say. I quickly turned around startled. I sighed in relief when I saw it was just Jordan. I turned back to the picture as he approached me, "Actually you were a happy baby". "Did anything happen?", I asked as he faced me. He shook his head and smiled, "No. I figured you were taking too long in the toilet and then I realized you don't even know where the toilet is". I chuckled as I continued scanning the pictures, "I didn't really need to use the toilet. I just needed air. Thanks". "Want to talk about what happened earlier?", He asked slowly. I looked up at him to find that he was looking at me closely and intently. I wanted to open up and talk to him but I decided not to, I mean I barely know this guy. "You dance?", I asked as my eyes fell on a photo of him receiving a dance award. He got the message and decided to let it be, "Yeah but I'm more into stunt than actual dance but I can do them both". I nodded, "Cool". I turned to face him, "Jordan I'm sorry for "you know" earlier today. I was a bit harsh". He smiled and cut me off, "Hey hey that's not necessary". "No really I should've" "Rue, it's fine", he said in a final tone. I nodded slowly and started to walk out when he held my hand. I turned to look at him in confusion then he says, "I know you're not big on new friends and shit but I really like you and your friends and I really want to be your friend, please give me a chance". I smiled and nodded, "Sure, now could you please walk me back to your lair. I don't remember the way there". He laughed, "Sure" and then ruffled my hair.

I glared at him as he spoke tentatively. "Too soon?", He choked out. "Yeah", I smiled as I walked out, him right behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~