Chapter: 9

I walked to the Library even though this place is known to be bad luck to me. I sighed and grabbed a seat on the second floor. I pulled out a book on the way up here. 

It was the same book I had yesterday about The Civil War. I paged through the pages when I felt a presence. "What the fuck was that?" He growled angrily. I sighed and looked up.

"I don't have time for this Elijah." I was emotionally drained. I just wanted to forget these past two days. This week has started off weird and I don't know. It's just weird.. 

"Aaliyah, what was that." He demanded again through clenched teeth. I was getting angrier. "That was me protecting myself!" I whisper shouted so I wouldn't draw attention.

"Yourself, well what about Toni, huh?" He pushed. "How do you think she feels now that you rejected her?" He was almost yelling. Good thing no one was in here and the Librarian was too busy reading.

"I don't know, Elijah!" I ran a hand through my ponytail. "How do you think I feel? I'm so confused and worried!" I concluded and he didn't seem any better. His teeth were still clenched shut and I sighed.

"Why are you worried?" He finally spat. "I'm worried because I don't want to be hurt, Elijah, I don't think I could possibly take any more pain! I don't think I could ever be able to handle someone else leaving me because I wasn't good enough!" I could feel tears brimming my eyes.

I laughed lightly, and shook my head. I glanced up at the ceiling to keep the tears in. "Liyah, we have to take chances in life, and Toni isn't like that, she won't leave you." His voice was calm now, but he was still mad at me.

"Yeah, well what if I get close with the rest of you, then one day, you guys decide you don't want to be friends with someone as cruel as me?" I pushed. "What then? I already had one of your friends leave me. I don't need that again, plus all of you." My voice was now a whisper and some of the tears spilled.

"I can't speak for anyone here, but I know the guys better than anyone, we've all been there, we all want to be your friend. We find something different about you, and we're drawn to you. If anything we should be worried about you leaving us." He explained softly and I couldn't answer without a sob breaking loose so I just stood there.

"Now, stop crying, and start smiling. You barely smile, and you're already getting worry lines. So stop frowning and smile." I let out a small laugh and used the back of my hand to wipe away my tears and the mascara that's probably down my cheeks.

"Liyah, promise you won't leave us." He almost sounded pleading. I looked up and locked my blue eyes with his brown ones. I smiled and nodded. "I promise." I whispered and he smiled back. 

Has smiling always felt this good? It's been awhile since I actually smiled and it feels kind of good. Now, don't think I'm going to go around skipping with a thing of daisies in my hand giving girls compliments. Hell no! I'm just going to be me.

Around a bunch of new people, who want to know the real me. 

"Come on, let’s get back to our friends." Elijah smirked and I rolled my eyes, but got up nevertheless. 

We walked back to the cafeteria silently with a few girls glaring at me, then gawking at Elijah. "She's such a slut, I bet she's fucking him for money." The one girl whispered to the other. Oh hell no!

"What did you just say?" I stopped walking and growled at her. She smiled sweetly and flicked her hair over her shoulder. "I basically called you a prostitute." She concluded while sticking her perky nose in the air.

I laughed darkly, then walked up to her. "Say it again." I demanded in a threatening tone. Fear clouded her eyes, but she pushed it back. "I said you're a dirty sl-" She didn't finish that sentence because I punched her in the nose.