''You're gonna be the death of me...'' I muttered but let him pull me along.

***

I knocked on the door of Ethan's apartment, a strange feeling in my gut. What the hell am I doing here? I definitely didn't sign up for this...

Damn you, Tyler Hunt.

''He won't open the door'' I gave Tyler a look, trying to prove my point to him.

''Then let's knock it down'' He shrugged, the alcohol clearly talking for him. I gave him a 'are you insane??' look and he shook his head.

''Let's just go!'' I whined, grabbing his upper arm. I tried to pull him away from the door but he didn't budge. Instead, he took a deep breath and whacked the doorknob.

To my surprise, it opened.

''What the...'' I muttered, slowly walking into the dark apartment.

I could tell that Tyler sobered up immediately, a look of worry finding its way to his face.''Stay here'' He whispered and pushed me back gently, making me stay in the living room while he pulled a gun out of his pocket. I watched him disappear down the hallway and I gulped.

As he entered one of the guest bedrooms, I felt an eerie urge to go to Ethan's bedroom. I knew where it was, thanks to that one night we shared.

So I slowly made my way to his bedroom door, my hands becoming clammy.

I stood in front of it, my hand hovering over the handle. A cold breeze ran over my spine and my heart stopped for a moment. Something's wrong. Swallowing my fear, I opened the door.

My heart dropped to my feet at the sight in front of me.

Ethan's lifeless body was sprawled out on the floor, a needle lying right next to him.

My body racked with silent tears but I still made my way to his body. My hands were shaking as I reached down to feel his pulse. I flinched when my fingertips touched his skin. He was cold.

No pulse.

I shook my head aggressively, letting go of his cold wrist and watching his hand drop down onto the floor. Try again.

I grabbed his other hand, doing the same thing. No pulse.

With a shaky breath, I fell onto my knees and dropped his hand. Try again!

I leaned over his body, shaking violently. I tried to feel his pulse on his neck multiple times as the voice in my head demanded I should keep trying, but there was nothing.

I covered my mouth with my hand, but that didn't stop the let blood-curdling scream from bouncing off the walls in the most frightening way.

Tyler came running into the room, only to stop dead in his tracks.

I let out a wail, pulling his lifeless body up into my arms. He was heavy but limp, and I somehow managed to place his head onto my lap. He looked so peaceful, lying there in my lap with his eyes closed. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought he was just sleeping.

The thought made me howl uncontrollably.

He's dead.

Tyler dialed 911 and I drowned out the conversation he had on the phone. All I could do was rock back and forth while petting Ethan's soft hair.

He was gone.

''Melanie?'' Tyler tried to talk to me but I ignored him, still rocking back and forth. I hummed a random melody, tears flowing from my eyes as I let my fingers comb Ethan's hair gently. His hair was a mess, telling me he was running his hand through it repeatedly like he always did when he was stressed out. 

''Melanie, please'' Tyler tried again.

I hummed louder, tightening my grip on Ethan's peaceful frame. He needed this. He deserved to have a peaceful ending. He deserved to go with the feeling of being loved and cared for.

So I sang to him, leaning down every so often to place a gentle kiss on his forehead. Maybe if I sang good enough, he would open his eyes and tell me it was all a stupid prank. Maybe he was trying to see if I really loved him. Maybe...he just wanted to feel cared for.

''Melanie you have to stop or they'll take you away'' Tyler begged me.''They'll think you've gone insane, do you understand?'' He shook me, making my head wobble as if it wasn't attached.

There was a knock on the door and Tyler sprung into action. He grabbed me with force and pulled me away from Ethan. His body fell limp as I was dragged away and I opened my mouth to scream but Tyler clamped his hand over my mouth. I fought against him as he carried me into the living room.

''I'm sorry'' He placed me on the couch as I started to sob.

The paramedics walked in and I turned away, pulling my legs up and hugging them. They talked to Tyler and I could faintly hear him telling them he was a police officer.

With that, everything went black and the last thing I felt was falling forward.

He was gone.

This time, he was gone for good.