33)Reckon

In that morning, I went out with a few guys to do a market reckon, nothing important, honestly, but perfect for what I needed. Those guys had been there longer than me, most of them were only a couple weeks from going home. In those 3 hours, they taught me everything I was looking to learn. They told me what to look out for, how to tell normal apart from danger, what to expect from the people and the police there. They gave me insight on how the country really worked and how to work my way among all the corruption and misery. 

Oh, the misery... I had never seen anything quite like it. The kids, only skin and bone... It was heartbreaking. And the fear... The moment those people saw us walk by, they'd get terrified as if they had seen some kind of ghost. Not because of us, but because wherever we were, rebels wouldn't be far. Mostly, they were kind people. I didn't feel welcome, but I also didn't feel like they didn't want us, Americans, there. I think they were both curious and afraid of us.

Eventually, we returned to the base and briefed the Lieutenant on our reckoning.  I went back to my quarters, the boys were sitting by the door.

-Went on a ride without us?-Vargas asked me. They were pissed off.

-I thought we rode together!-Perry got up, upset. 

-Chill, man!-I said.-If you don't wanna miss out on the action, start by getting your arses off the bed earlier. Did you forget to pack your alarms? Ain't my fault ya'll a bunch of lazybuns!-I tried to push Perry out of the way, but he didn't move an inch. 

-I thought we were a team!-He insisted.

-We are! I just got different responsibilities! Will you get out of my fucking way already?!-I was starting to lose my patience. He looked me in the eyes for a hot minute and then finally moved. I walked inside my room and slammed my door. All of a sudden, I felt extremely sick. I started throwing up, was barely even able to grab this bag to throw up on. After I was done, I felt normal, so I figured it was probably just the stress.

They eventually left my door. I didn't see them all day. I looked for them but I guess they didn't want to be found. I finally saw them after dinner, when the guys decided to break out some homemade beers. Nasty shit, but the best in miles! 

-Are you all done with your tantrums now?-I asked them. They ignored me.-Trevon! C'mon! 

-Didn't you say you had different responsibilities?-Perry said.-Go do your job then!-He said that a little too loud. The guys around us, looked at us, shocked. I could not let it slide but also, I knew I had to pick my battles. Instead of going completely bunkers on him, I smiled a bit.

-It's part of my job to be up your ass, private. Not sure any of us wants to do that right now. Enjoy the rest of your night.-I said calmly and turned my back on him. I knew, even though everyone was watching him disrespect me, if I went and showed him the backlash he deserved it would only damage our relationship even more. I didn't need a war inside, the one outside was bad enough. So I went and took one for the team, surprising everyone watching.

The night was pretty awkward. The boys were really hurt but I wasn't gonna explain myself to them. The earlier they understood that I would sometimes do things they wouldn't understand, the better. Eventually, as expected, Trevon came to me. We had this friendship like I had never had with any other teammate before. Our vibes just matched from day one and  we became best friends. He was the only one I could be all fun and laughs with and then when it got serious, he'd just go back to his place, expecting no special treatment. I respected the guy a whole lot. 

-Jones!-He bumped my shoulder playfully.

-Trevon! Got tired of kindergartner?-I looked over his shoulder to the boys who were staring at us. 

-Knock it off!-He smiled. 

-C'mon!-I put my arm around his shoulders.-I'll show you around to the grownups!-I mocked him and pulled him to where they were handling the beers. We both grabbed one.

-That was so unnecessary...-He then said.-You know, Perry... -I shrugged my shoulders.-I did expect a lot more from your response... -He mocked me.-That was surprisingly pleasant. 

-I can't have you guys disrespecting me like that in front of everyone though.-I looked around to check if anybody was listening.- These dudes here... Once you let it slide, motherfuckers think they can ice skate! So, you let Perry know that next time he pulls that clown shit on me again, he'll believe I took his sorry ass to the moon for how many stars I'll make him see!

-AH!! There it is! I knew you were pissed!-He mocked me again.- C'mon! You know the guy's a hothead! 

-And I'm fucking crazy! Do I go around throwing poop? No!-He laughed out loud.-Gotta know how to behave, man! So should he. But if he doesn't, I'll teach him good...

-A'ight! Knock it off already!-He said, smiling. -Anyway! What happened this morning? You left without us... 

-I did.-I chugged my beer.

-Why?-He asked, looking me in the eyes.

-Why does it bother you guys so much? This is a team! Not a fucking relationship! We're not exclusive to each other alright? God damn!-I laughed.

-It really doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is the secrecy, the hiding, the lies and the games.-He was very serious.

-Look, Trevon, I like you, man. I really do.-I got serious as well.- I see you as my best man in here. I trust you and respect you. All I ask of you is the exact same! Do you trust me?

-With my life.-He answered without even blinking. I knew he was as honest as he could be.

-Good. Do you respect me?

-I do. 

-Then trust me enough to let it go and respect me enough never to ask about it again. Deal?

He looked me in the eyes for a few seconds and then smiled. He didn't say anything. He just nodded, looked me from head to toe and then left. I didn't really know what it meant at the time but later I noticed that was his way of accepting an order or a request he didn't really want to accept. He went back to the boys. 

I had a couple more beers and then went to the bedroom and slept like a baby.

The next morning, when I opened the door, the boys were already standing there, all geared up, ready to roll. I was confused at first but then their sleepy faces were just too funny. 

-Morning, lads!-I said.-Rough night?

-Great night. Rough morning.-Perry said, serious, looking slightly pissed off but then he smiled.-Won't get rid of us so easy today, Sarg. 

-I wouldn't want it any other way.-I smiled as well.-Let's go find something to do.-I put my arm around Perry's neck, pulling his head down and messing up his hair.