2) Back & Badder

I was exhausted from Sanchez' method. Those kids should be at a breaking point. He had trained them for 3 days straight, non stop, through day and night with barely any time to rest. We were all starving, thirsty, sleep deprived. It was a good workout but once you experience the true horrors of war, everything seems to be a walk in the park. I was there, running, pushing, being smoked with them.

-Sarg. Jones!! You're embarassing me!-Sanchez said when I failed one of his pull ups in the bar. I was pretty exhausted but I just smiled and caught up with the rest of the team.

At the end of the fourth day, Sanchez finally gave us a break. He gave us 4 hours to sleep. Everyone was pretty excited. Little did they know they wouldn't even get half an hour...

-Jeez...-I sighted when the team was inside and put my hands on my knees, exhausted. Sanchez tapped me in the back.-I'm getting too old for this shit!-I laughed.

-Well, you don't have to do it. You've earned your place long ago, Jones.

-What's the point of putting together a killer team if in the end i'm gonna be the weakest link?-I looked at him, still trying to catch my breath.

-Oh, Jones... I don't think someone like you will ever be the weakest link.- Sanchez nodded once, in sign of respect. Everyone in the base knew my story by then. The real story.

-Well...-I got back up.-The more you train during peace the less you bleed in war, right?-I gave him a little smile and went to have a smoke.

It was pointless to sleep. That would only tire me even more. I went to the cafeteria and had a strong coffee. Next mission was on the sea so I would really need that caffeine kicking in. 

-Can't sleep, Sarg.?-Vargas asked me. He was this new private, just a kid in the team. Well, he should be about my age. He was tall, quiet, black hair, brown eyes, tanned skin. He was naked from the waist up. I noticed this tattoo on the left side of his chest. It was a cross with a beautiful rose on top. I guess I stared a bit too long. He looked at his own tattoo and smiled.

-Girlfriend?-I asked before I could even think. 

-Mom. 

-I'm sorry...-I looked down at my coffee. 

-Well... I guess losing a whole team feels pretty much the same.-He got himself a coffee as well. Something about the confidence with which he carried himself caught my attention.

-Hope I don't find out about that for a long time, private.-I took a sip and sat down.

-Me too, Sergeant.-He looked me in the eyes.-May I?-He pointed to the chair in front of me. 

-Suit yourself.-He sat down and then we were haunted by a long period of silence.

-So... Can't sleep, Sarg.?-He asked again, with a naughty smile in his lips. 

-What's the point, private?-I kept an emotionless expression, even though I wanted to melt right there. 

-Don't you feel tired? I'm exhausted!-He laughed a bit. 

-Well, you should. You're not here to be hanging around, scratching your balls. 

-I know, I know!-He looked away and then got serious again. Then he looked back at me.-Sarg, there's something I've been dying to ask... I mean... We all have, the whole squat... It's pretty much all everybody talks about...

-No, my butt isn't fake.-I interrupted him and joked. He smiled.

-No... Hmm... I'm not quite sure how to ask...-He looked down. I put my coffee over the table and sat back in my chair, crossing my arms in front of my chest.-Well...-He took a deep breath and looked me in the eyes.-What happened with your team? I mean... What really happened?-I rolled my eyes.-Everybody's been wondering...

-What do you think happened? 

-I'm not sure... I wasn't there. All I know is what the news told me... But I've been hearing rumors...-I got up and walked towards the door.-Sarg!-I stopped, still staring forward.-What happened there?

-Does it matter?-I asked and then walked away. Sanchez crossed my way.

-What are you doing here? The helicopter is outside, waiting. Have you seen Vargas?-He asked me.

-He's inside.-I kept walking. I couldn't help but feel his stare on me as I walked away.

On that helicopter, exhaustion was breathable! You could tell, just by looking those poor kids in the eyes that they wouldn't last much if Sanchez kept up the rhythm. To be honest, I didn't think most of them were gonna make it through the night. I kinda new what he was up to but I never expected him to go that far. 

After about 1 hour flying over the sea, Sanchez gave the order to stop the helicopter, to keep it flying in that exact spot.

-Alright, ladies!-He got up.-Once that door opens, there's no turning back. Once that door opens, you're all gonna jump the fuck out of here and find your way back home with your bare arses.-I was shocked. We were so far away into the ocean, I could almost see England!

-Uh... Sanchez, can I have a word with you?-I asked and pulled him aside.-Are you out of your mind? I'm supposed to have a team by the end! How the fuck am I gonna do that if you're planning to kill them all?!

-Well... You wanted the best of the best. Whoever makes it through...-He signaled the pilot to open the door behind me.

-Do you even realize how dangerous this is? People can and will drown! 

-They knew what they were coming for when they signed in.-He gave me a sick smile and something inside me just... Something just didn't feel right. 

-Sanchez, are you here to help me or to make my life even harder?-I whispered to him

-You should know by now, Jones.-He whispered back.- There are no such thing as friends.-He then pushed me off of the helicopter. 

The fall felt like it was never ending. I kept falling and falling, as if time had slowed down. My mind was empty. I didn't think of anything, I didn't see anything. I was just... I was right there, just falling. At the last second, my body got instinctively in position for impact, with my legs straight and my arms besides my body. I took one last breath and then hit the water. 

The ocean was relentlessly cold. The water froze my bones the second it touched me, making me lose all the air I had sucked in. The fall had pushed me down several meters. I tried to swim up but I was breathless and I could barely even understand where surface was. The freezing water literally shut down my brain. I couldn't think. I was on survive mode. Every little move I made was pure instinct. 

That breath I took once my head was above the water was priceless. I was there, I was breathing, I was alive. I was alive! The waves and the currents kept pushing and pulling, the ocean was full of rage, thirsty for blood, but I was alive. 

I looked up, the helicopter was still flying above my head. Sanchez was looking at me, pissed off. I showed him my middle finger. 

-Better luck next time.-I said, knowing he wouldn't listen and started swimming somewhere. I had no idea where the fuck I was going. I was right in the middle of the ocean. Land was long gone. Everywhere I looked, there was water, water and more water. 

Not long after, the helicopter flied over my head again, going back home. I stopped swimming and just observed. At least I had a clue where to go. A few seconds later, it stopped. One by one, 5 of the guys jumped out of the plane and then it left, flying away in the horizon. I swam to them as fast as possible.

-What the fuck?!-I asked them-Why did you guys jump?!-Vargas was one of them. It only made me even madder.

-We're a team, Sarg.-Collins said.

-We roll together.-Cooper smiled.

-Or swim together...-Russel complained 

-Wanted the fun just for yourself, Sarg?-Vargas screamed and laughed.

-You guys just signed your death sentence.-I told them.

-At least we signed them together...-Bradley winked at me. 

I guess I had a team after all. A team of dumb, reckless guys... But I had a team.