36)Dominance Game

-Very romantic-The commander said, behind us. He even clapped his hands.- Don't worry, I will make it easy for you two lovebirds. When we get back, I will court martial your ass, Miss Jones! You will lose your job and honestly, if you ever make a career anywhere it will be a major win for you. So, you don't have to worry about she outranking you, Vargas. Once this is all over, she will out of the army for good. Perfect, right?-He was pissed off.

Vargas got up and was about to answer him, but I held his arm and got up myself, calmly. 

-First of all, Sir,-I cleared my voice.-Thank you.-Vargas looked at me, confused. Even the commander was surprised. Guess everyone expected me to go crazy.-Thank you for grounding me , for assuming leadership and for keeping my men safe when I couldn't perform my job.

-Assuming leadership? I am the leader here. I am your Commander!-He answered. I ignored him.

-Second, Sir. Look around. There's my men, over there... And that's about the only friendly faces you will see in miles. Next time you address any of us, have that into consideration.-I smiled at him.

-And what's that supposed to mean?!-He was foaming at the mouth.

-Nothing... Just that it's a tough climate around here, harsh environment, specially when everyone is out to get you. Let's not turn those friendly faces into something else, shall we?

-I AM YOUR SUPERIOR! I WILL NOT HAVE YOU TALKING TO ME LIKE THAT!-He screamed. He caught the boys' attention. They gathered around us, trying to understand what was going on.

-Sir, with all due respect, I am only asking you to reconsider...

-SHUT YOUR HOLE, JONES!-He screamed at me once again. I was trying my hardest to keep my cool.

-What's going on?-Perry finally asked.

-Everything's alright.-I answered still staring inside the Commander's eyes.-Just a little misunderstanding. 

-There's no misunderstanding here, Miss Jones.-The commander stood his ground.-These are my men, you answer to me and once we get back, I will court martial you for disrespecting my orders, walking all over me and making calls that weren't yours to make! 

-I don't think you understand, Sir. I don't care what you do when we get back home. I didn't get where I am today by walking on egg shells and if you think court martial scares me, I've been there. Twice.-I said calmly.- When we get back home, you do whatever makes you sleep better at night. I don't give two fucks! What I care about is today and I will not have you confusing my men. I don't care if you pull all your hair out of your head, one by one, don't care about your tantrums and honestly, don't give a shit about your rank. -He got so red I thought he was going to explode.-I will kindly remind you of your place, if you've forgotten but this is the last time I waste time measuring dicks. I am in charge of this unit and at the moment, you are our rescue. The mission is to get you to safety, first. Then contact home and get new orders. That's it. I don't answer to you. I am not one of your soldiers. I answer to the government, the President directly. And if you were misinformed about the nature of our team and our real purpose here, I am sorry. Consider yourself informed. -The boys were trying to hide their smiles. I was so pissed off.- Now, if you step on my toes again, or refuse to accept my rules, remember we're in the middle of nowhere and I can just leave you to your own luck. I wouldn't take the chance, but if that's your wish, you are indeed higher ranked. 

-YOU CAN'T DO THAT!-He screamed. There was now a hint of fear in his eyes. He finally realized, even though I'm a woman,  mine was bigger.

-Oh, but I can. What's going to stop me? Your rank? I'm sure you understand this instability is not good for the chain of command. If you continue to undermine my every action, I have no other choice.

-You'll shoot me is that it?!-He tried to play tough but I could see it in his eyes, he knew I wasn't bluffing. Trevon looked at me, somewhat afraid of my answer.

- Look, man, if I want you to drop dead, all I gotta do is step back and relax. Get that inside your head, will you? I am trying to get you back home! I'm trying to get us ALL back home! I don't know who you are. I don't even know your name! But my mission is to get you home and I take my responsibilities very seriously. And as long as you stay out of my way, I promise you I will give my own life to protect yours. But if you wanna play this dominance game, I promise you I will win. I am on your side, but don't push me.-He looked me in the eyes and bit his tongue. He just looked away.-We've lost enough time. Playtime is over, boys. Oh, and if you ever wonder who you answer to, you answer to me and me only.-I looked at them.- I don't care about ranks and chest candy. I am in charge of this team. Nobody else will command you, boss you around or tell you what to do. That's my job. Is that clear?

-YES, MA'AM!-They answered all together.

- Get your shit and let's go.-I ordered. They moved out immediately. 

I reorganized the team. Scot and Vargas then Trevon and the Commander. Perry was the last man. I was ahead of the team, by myself. I needed some time alone to clear my mind. We had lost a lot of time doing nothing, our resources were disappearing by the second. I barely had any water left and I had no idea where we were. The next base was pretty far from our, but in the middle of all that frenzy, I lost my map and my internal compass was all over the place. To make it all worse, ammo was also running low. So basically, I had no idea where we were going. I was just hoping somewhere along the way we could find a place to get supplies peacefully.