30)The Talk

A few days later, I was introduced to my new teammates. This time, I wasn't on the selection process. I guess last time, it didn't go that well. They chose 3 guys to join my team and gave me 2 weeks to integrate them. 

There was Lucas. Lucas Perry. He was tall, big guy, biggest I knew. He had large shoulders, black hair, black eyes, Caucasian. He seemed tough, dedicated, focused. He was a pretty nice guy, with a sense of humor,  yet he was a hot head, impulsive, unable to control his anger. 

There was Trevon. Malik Trevon. He was also pretty big. Black hair, black eyes, dark skin, African American. He was actually the one I connected with immediately. He was professional, yet cool and laid back. He was funny but respectful. He was always ready to roll and calm no matter the circumstances. He was also very skillful and so damn fast on his feet! Nobody could outrun him. He was connected to Usain Bolt or something, I swear!

And then, there was Maxwell Scot. And that was where the problems started. He was undisciplined, loud, cocky, overconfident. Everything about him just screamed trouble. He was the smallest guy on the team. He was just an inch taller than me. Yet, he was the absolute best with guns. He could mount and dismount his AK under fire, real fire, before you could even say his name. And his aim was absolutely flawless! But that was about it. Everything else was just average bad, you know, inside the special troops standards.

-Alright, ladies!-I said. They were standing in front of me, after being introduced to me. Vargas was supposed to be there but he had been AWOL ever since the car talk.-I guess you all know who I am by now. Let's skip formalities, shall we? Every second we waste is too long. Let's go! Chop Chop, ladies! 15 laps around the base to get you started. Go, go, go!-They started running and I called Vargas. He picked up.-Where the FUCK are you?! 

-I'm coming.-He answered.

-You're coming?!-I was pissed off.-YOU SHOULD BE HERE ALREADY! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, PRIVATE?! 

-I'm already inside, ma'am.-He changed his tone.-I'll be there in a second.

-You better!-I hung up. It didn't take him 2 minutes to be there. I looked him from top to bottom and shook my head. He stood besides me. Trevon ran past us. Vargas didn't move. Then Lucas and then Scot and then I lost it.-Excuse me!-Vargas looked at me confused.-Do you not see your teammates running? 

-I do, ma'am.-He answered, still confused.

-What makes you think you're worthy of special treatment, private?! GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASS RIGHT NOW!-I pushed him aggressively. 

-Yes, ma'am!-He was slightly annoyed but he just ran as well. 

Trevon finished way ahead of everyone else. Vargas had caught up with Scot and Lucas. They were on their 10th lap. I sent him to have breakfast and made the rest of the guys do 5 extra laps for being so slow. When they finished I gave them 10 minutes to have breakfast and went for a smoke myself. 

Things were weird between me and Michael. But I didn't really expect it any other way. 

These new guys seemed to be a great addiction to the team. I was really hopeful, even somewhat excited to roll with them. I felt safe around them. They were very capable individuals. I even felt somewhat privileged to be given the elite crew, but that's when I realized the mission was not gonna be easy at all! They all had field experience. They were no jarheads. These were real life ninja dudes, some with more experience than me, some with some heavy chest candy. 

For days, I tortured them and myself. We performed every drill, every exercise, trained on every gun, studied every situation, the terrain, the culture, everything... I decided to perform the final drill at night, by the beach. It was pretty cold since the winter was approaching. I had them lay by the chore, side my side, with their arms linked, head partially submerged in the freezing ocean water with the waves crashing on their faces. I had them lay there for 8 minutes in silence. Then I made them sing a few army songs. 

It might sound easy, but that's a deal breaker right there. It's so hard to keep breathing with the waves crashing on you and when hypothermia starts settling in, it's a damn nightmare! I had been in their shoes before but this time, I was on the outside, just watching. We would deploy in less than a week, and this was our final drill. It was time for The Talk.

-At some point, everything's gonna go south on you. Everything's gonna go south and you'll think; "this is it. This is how I end". Lot of things gonna happen that will catch you off guard!  But during those moments, those low moments, that's where growth takes place! When it gets tough, you get tough! Right here, Right now! Embrace it! Recycle your pain! Get something from it! You're already in pain! Use it! Do something with it! The greatest changes in your life will be THROUGH pain! It doesn't matter what happens to you! What matters is what you gonna do about it! GET UP! Get up!-I ordered them. They did, shivering.- Sometimes in life, you have to hit back! Tomorrow is a new day! And this time, we're not gonna let this get us down. We're not gonna let this destroy us! There are certain things you gotta go through! Certain pitfalls you gotta fall in! But you gotta look at yourself and say: I am a conqueror! I'm unstoppable! There's nothing I can't achieve! You gotta be willing to harness your will! Despite what you went through, despite of how you suffered! You still look at your grief and say to yourself: IT  IS  MY  DUTY UNTIL I WIN!-I was kinda breathless. Every word was heartfelt. I then continued, in a calmer tone.-Life will knock us down, but we can choose whether or not we get back up. You will never  truly know yourself, until tested by adversity. No matter how many times you've fallen and are yet to fall, look up, get up... And don't ever give up. That's how you keep getting back. That's how you get through life. Gentleman, I will see you next week. You're dismissed.