29)In My Feelings

The next day, when I woke up, the thought of what had happened the previous night made me smile. Michael was still sleeping peaceful. I ran my hand down his cheek and got up. I put on my clothes and left. 

No matter how much I felt for him, we were incompatible. Our careers could not coexist together. In order for our relationship to even have a chance, one of us would have to give up everything we worked so hard to achieve. I knew damn well I wasn't ready to do that, and neither was Michael. So I just left and kept trying to convince myself throughout the day it was just a meaningless one night stand. 

Gladly, I had other things to worry about so eventually, I was able to refocus and get those unholy flashbacks from the previous night out of my head! I was at Bruce's place. It was time to figure him out. 

-Good morning.-I said when he opened the door.

-What are you doing here?-He asked me coldly. I figured he was still mad at me. 

-Well, honestly, I'm here to kiss your ass until you stop being like that...-I smiled.

-Like what, Elizabeth? I'm just fine! 

-Sure... Can I?-I pointed inside. He got out of my way and I walked in. He closed the door.-You're not fine, Bruce.

-No! I'm fucking not! I thought we were building something here! Now all of a sudden, you're leaving! 

-Look...-I sighted.- I'm not your daughter, Bruce. I cannot replace her. You can't put me in her shoes, 'cause I'll disappoint you more than she ever could.

-I don't know what you're talking about...-He looked away, crossing his arms.

-You know exactly what I'm talking about. Are you mad 'cause I'm leaving or 'cause your plans didn't quite work out? 

-What plans?!

-What were you thinking? That you'd make me your daughter and keep me here for all eternity? Finally be one happy family? Look, Bruce, I'm grateful for everything you've done for me. You were there when I needed the most and I'll never forget that. You're not blood from my blood but you've earned your place. Yet, that's all. You're not my dad. I'm not your child. I'm not part of your family drama, alright? Instead of focusing on replacing your daughter just because she let you down, maybe you should try to reach out, rebuild the bond, you know? 

-You don't know anything about my family!-He got upset.

-Good. Let's keep it that way. 

-GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!-He screamed, pissed off. 

-Sure. I'm just gonna get my things...

He turned his back on me and I went to what had been my room for all that time to get my stufff. As I was collecting my things, my phone rang. It was Michael.

-Yes?-I said on the phone.

-Hey...-He answered on the other side. 

-Can I help you? 

-I'm not sure. Can I see you today? 

-Sure. Meet me at Bruce's in 10 mikes.

-I'll be there.-He hung up.

The way he spoke... I knew we had to have that conversation. I knew I had to make a decision. I couldn't just keep playing him like a toy. Funny how things always seem to happen all at once. When the first problem begins, it's like a damn avalanche. 

I filled my bag with my shit and went downstairs. I said goodbye to Mary. Bruce was sitting on the couch smoking. I didn't tell him anything. I was pissed off! I mean, I knew he had all the right to kick me out, it was his house after all. I just didn't expect him to do it when I needed him to be by my side... But I found comfort in knowing I had survived worse and I'd survive that too.