♡ 2019 RECAP

2019 was a stale year full of sadness and anger for ryun. because of the major three scandals she was involved in (see "her scandals" for details) she was forced into a hiatus by cube. they released a statement via twitter on january 28, 2019 that stated ryun would be put on an indefinite hiatus due to "mental health concerns" and "burnout."

it left many fans confused as ryun's career was starting to really pickup and they didn't understand why cube would do something that could possibly hinder that. it also left many suspicious because in content posted by the company and ryun recently it seemed she was perfectly fine. this evidence and already increasing opinion that cube was a shady company caused fans to believe something was happening behind the scenes. nothing was nor has ever been confirmed, but in vlives after her return a notably more sad ryun was noticed by fans.

THE FACTS

— in total the hiatus lasted 15 months with almost complete silence on ryun's part except for the occasional picture posted on her instagram.

— the end of her hiatus was marked by a teaser for her upcoming single stay tonight uploaded on her instagram on april 12, 2020. along with a youtube vlog and a vlive titled, "it's been awhile..."

— in the vlive fans noted that she looked more sad than she'd been before the hiatus. when commented on and she assured fans that she was fine. when continuous comments about her strange behavior kept coming she became visibly agitated, and told them to stop or she would end the live.

— when asked about what she did during her hiatus she revealed she spent time writing with soyeon, catching up on dance lessons she'd missed, and talking with her niece and nephew. fans were happy to hear this, but her comments of how much time she spent alone or missing her fans and promoting didn't go unnoticed.

— when asked about her own plans with music, she responded unenthusiastically about her upcoming release "stay tonight," stating that she liked the song but wished she had more activities to present to fans after such a long time away.

— the few times she genuinely smiled was when mentioning woozi and how they'd been able to keep in touch and even hangout a once.

— she ended up ending the live after receiving a phone call, fans suspect it was one of her managers who told her to end the live. fans weren't sure the reason for ending the live but speculation ranges from mentioning woozi, to making comments showing dissatisfaction with the hiatus, to her sad look making the company look bad to fans.

— fans took to twitter with their concerns, starting hashtags that demanded cube treat ryun better and even calling for her to leave. cube ignored the hashtags.

— she did at one point did consider leaving the company after a particularly upsetting night after a failed negotiation with the company about adding another release to her 2020 comebacks. in the following days of her frustration she talked to a few close friends, who advised otherwise as her career wasn't yet solidified and leaving so soon could be detrimental.

— upon discussing her issues to her mamagers; they came to the compromise that if the 2020 didn't go well for ryun and the company refused to take her concerns into account, and she still felt the desire to leave then they would support her.

— it isn't known what influenced cube's decision, but another release of ryun's choice was added to her comebacks for 2020, and she was granted considerably more creative control over the activities she choice to promote the comebacks. reasons may be due to realizing they couldn't handle loosing a second popular artist after the departure of their most popular soloist; to pressure from online fan communities forcing cube to give in.