XXIII

Jared

"Aarrrgghhh! Fuck mornings! Fuck you, Sunrise! AAARRGHH!" I hear Joaquin's painful growl while I'm casually drinking blood. His curses in pain entertain me. He looks around and hides from the sunlight.

"I HATE MORNINGS!" he yells in frustration.

"Where the fuck did my necklace go?" he yells and blows at his burnt arms.

I smirk at him and pull his necklace out of my pocket. His eyes widen. His black gaze looks at the necklace that I shake. In the blink of an eye, he quickly snatches the necklace from my hands and wears it.

"No vampire privileges. That's one of the house rules," I warn him.

"You can really kill anyone if you wanted to," he says while rolling his eyes. A deep growl escapes from his mouth.

"If I want to," I remind.

He searches for something in his small bag. He takes out a fancy bottle with transparent fluid.

"What's that?" I ask and remove my glasses. "From Esperanza, with love?"

"Some sort of a healing bottle," he says while putting it on his burnt arm. He hisses in pain.

"Why am I sleeping on the couch?" he asks.

"Why? You want to sleep with me?" I ask and lift an eyebrow.

"Oooooh, you're getting wilder, Dmitri," he says, wiggling his eyebrows. "Wanna do it sometime?"

"No, thank you," I say dismissively.

I watch his wound heal quickly. His skin slowly gets hydrated. The wound closes. The area is a bit dark compared to his complexion which is as white as paper. My eyebrows raise after seeing how effective it is.

"Violaaaaa," he sings and waves his arm.

"Is she your girlfriend now?" I ask with a hint of disgust.

"No, no, no, no," he says and waves a finger at me. "Esperanza is my first aid kit. This is a survival strategy, Dmitri. I have girls, but I don't have a girlfriend."

Silence.

"Anyways, you removed my necklace-"

"It's a prank," I say casually. "I'm just a curious young man," I say and shrug my shoulders.

"Curiosity kills the bat," Joaquin says and reaches for a glass.

"Besides, I ordered you to hide this vampire matter from humans, Joaquin-That's my bottle of blood!" I glare at him once he touches the bottle.