II

George

The ringing sound of my alarm clock made me open my eyes slowly. I cover myself with my blue blanket. My hands wander on my bed and search for my phone. I reach for the digital clock on my white bedside table and turn it off.

Groan.

"Huh? But, I didn't set you to ring this early in the morning," I speak in my sleepy, raspy voice.

I rest my head on the headboard. "Really? Aunt Liz? Alarm? "

I cover my face with my palm. Then, I rub my eyes with the back of my hands. I glare at my digital clock.

'6:03'

"Wow, good morning," I yawn.

I stand up and open the window. The cool morning breeze blows. The rising sun greets my face. I should be sleeping right now. Today should be, 'Yaaaaay, Summer Break!' but no.

My sleepy eyes scanned my room. My clothes are scattered on the floor. I step on a paintbrush near my working table. I stare at the unfinished piece that I made before our graduation day. The orange, yellows, and pink form a smiling girl. It's only the background that has to be finished. I pick up the brush on the floor and place it on the easel.

Sigh.

I went out of the room. The strands of my brown hair are all over my face. The taste of my morning breath lingers on my tongue.

"Waking me up this early," I scoff while brushing my teeth.

"Why do you even have to set my alarm? Huh? Huh?" I mutter and scratch the back of my neck.

I go downstairs while muttering complaints about why I am up this early in the morning. Turning left, I enter the kitchen.

Oooohhh, I remember the lasagna she cooked last night.

My face lights up, remembering that I have lasagna.

"Look at that, " I say in a singsong voice and take the lasagna out of the microwave.

I tuck some strands of my messy hair behind my ears. I dig a spoonful of lasagna and shove it in my mouth. The thick layers of sauce and cream excite me. I happily dig my spoon into the bowl. Though it's cheesy, I still add a generous amount of cheese.

"Mmm, delicious," I muffle.

I broke up with Andrew.

My chewing slows down as I remember what happened last night. I pause and heave a sigh.

"I'll get better," I nod. "Right. A better life. A better single life," I convince myself and nod.

"Okay, so," I hear my front door suddenly open. "If you need help–"

"Woah! Hold up! " I exclaim and storm out of the kitchen.

"It's at my front door written in all caps. 'LEARN HOW TO KNOCK.' Opening my door after setting my alarm this early morning is enough, Aunt–"

I stop after seeing a lean blond guy standing beside Aunt Liz. His icy blue eyes behind his round specs stare at me coldly. His veins are visible in his pinkish-white complexion.

"Is that how you greet 'Good morning'?" Aunt Liz asks and raises an eyebrow. Her hands straighten her corporate attire.

I scoff.