IV

George

"It's been a while, Emerald," I smile and sit in front of her.

"I'm doing good," I say. My fingers touch the newly trimmed grass.

The warm afternoon wind blows. The strands of my hair sway together with the direction of the wind. Calmly, I close my eyes and surrender myself in peace.

"I'm the school valedictorian, not to brag, though. That's for you, Emy," I smile as if she can still see me.

I put a basket of flowers on her gravestone.

"I know that it was your dream. I kinda stole it from you," I chuckle.

"I miss you so much. I brought you flowers, white roses." I touch the roses that are beautifully arranged in the basket.

"It's your favo–"

"Who is she?" someone coldly speaks beside me.

What the–

My head sharply move to the male voice I heard.

Jared.

"Why are you here?" I ask in annoyance. I watch him sit in front of me, on the opposite side of Emy's gravestone.

"Nothing. I just saw you as I passed by. I'm a bit bored. So... Now, I'm here," he clears his throat and licks the bottom of his thin lips.

"I need a quiet place to think. I'm looking for a park. Instead, I found this cemetery–" he says and looks away, "I think I'm lost," he mumbles and looks around the cemetery.

I ignore him and look at Emy's name on the cold stone.

"Keep safe there, Emy."

The wind blows again. I close my eyes. I inhale and exhale slowly. The smell of the grass lingers on my nose. I think of Emy's sweet smile.

"George, you should study hard."

"George, that's so rude!"

"George, enough with pasta!"

"Hey, listen to this song!"

"I love you!"

"Take care."

"George!"

I open my eyes. Jared's gaze met mine. He stares at me as if he's memorizing every part of my face. There's a hint of lonesome in his eyes.