XV

George

It has been three consecutive days, and a series of nightmares are constantly haunting me in my sleep. Beads of sweat form on my forehead. I ball my fists and curl my fingers on the blanket.

"Good luck with your class," Aunt Liz says while putting the dishes in the sink.

I go straight to my bedroom. A blue paper bag greets me. I didn't open Jared's gift for me yet.

I grab the paper bag and sat on my bed. I read the tag with neat writing.

'To you,

From your Babysitter'

I search for my journal and some washi tapes. I put the tag on the next blank page of my journal.

July 14, 2020:

An alien gave me a gift. It is a—

I opened the paper bag. I saw a plain black box in it.

I saw the pair of grayish-blue sneakers that I wanted.

"Aren't we going home?"

"You're walking around. Stare at random stuff. Check for the price the walk away."

"It's called window shopping."

"It's nonsense."

"I like those shoes. I'll save my money for that."

"He bought this? Is this the reason why he followed me that day?"

Awwww, what a romantic scene for a tragic ending.

The scene from his house plays in my head and reminds me that he is not one of us.

"Why are you like this?" I stared at the shoes and firmly closed my eyes. I put the shoes back in the box and continued journaling. "I'm getting confused."

I'm an hour early today. I only have four subjects today. Looking around, I sit on an empty bench. My phone vibrates in the front pocket of my jeans.

'From Shane: On my way.'

I dust off my loose One Direction shirt, tucked in high-waisted skinny jeans. My gaze falls on the grayish-blue sneakers that someone gave me as a gift.

I recall what was written on the card of his gift for me.

To: You,

From: Your Babysitter,

"Why did I even wear you?" I mutter.

What if this has a tracking device that can trace from where planet he came from?

"ARGH!"

Nah, you wanted to wear this. You, stupid—

"Georgie!"

I hear a familiar female voice.

"Hey! Georgie," Shane waves at me and runs toward the bench where I am sitting.

"Hi," a weak smile forms across my lips.

Shane's expression softens.

"What happened? Aren't you excited? College! Yaaaay!" She sits beside me.

I didn't speak. Instead, I show her a weak smile.

She raises an eyebrow," I may not be Emy, but I still know you." She crosses her arm over her chest. "What is it?"