VII

Jared

"What are you doing here? I can take care of myself"

My lips part. I was amused by the girl in front of me.

Right. That is why I saw you unconscious at your front door.

"Babysitting," I reply with a serious face. I rake my hair with my fingers. "It's your Aunt's request."

"Mm... strange," she says and looks out the window. My bedroom window is visible from here. "I don't think she'll let a stranger take care of me."

"Well," he says and takes a sip of his coffee. "She just did," I shrug. "That's why I'm here. You think I'll volunteer to take care of a stubborn kid like you?"

"I'm not a kid," she responds and finishes her coffee. I move my gaze from the window to the girl in front of me. Her green eyes scan every part of me, from my feet slowly up to my face. Her eyes widen when they met mine. She clears her throat and looks away.

"You didn't go back to your house?" she asks and clears her throat.

"No, I'm worried that you might do something stupid while I'm asleep at my house."

She rolls her eyes.

"Where did you sleep?"

"Downstairs," he stares at me. "At the couch," he emphasizes the last word.

She raises an eyebrow and asks, "Really?"

I nod.

"Yeah, really. Where do you expect me to sleep?" I flash a teasing smile.

She's so transparent, too obvious that she's interested in me.

But you're not part of my plan.

"Aren't you hungry?" I frown. She looks at me. "Geez, it's already 10 in the morning. You've slept more than 12 hours. I cooked, now eat—"

"Thanks," she says. She flashes a bright smile at me.

My lips part. My thoughts are cut off as if something blocks them from getting out of my mouth.

"Yeah, you're welcome but the food is downstairs. Thanking me won't make your stomach full."

"Wow!!!" she skips to the dining area. A huge smile is plastered on her face as she sits at the dining table. "You cooked all of these?"

"Yes," I say and serve her some food. "Eat," I command. "You need to gain all of your strength. By the way, Do not be too happy. All of the ingredients were from your fridge."