01. Tight Shirt

Warren

I nervously stepped to the front desk at the lobby of my new school. I moved my beanie back into place again as I approach the front desk; every step I made, I tried to think about the sins I've done because this school might just be the death of me.

"Hello miss," I greeted and a red headed, mid 30s looking woman smiled with the most plastic smile ever encountered by men.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She asks putting on that smile again. It was more or less a grin really.

"I'm Warren Davies, new student from Malaysia." I replied.

"Oh yes, I'm expecting you. Here is your timetable and your ID. And also a map of the school, have fun today." She rushed, shoving me a pile of papers, folders and a card with my 6th grade photo on it.

"Cheers," I said and grabbed the pile and walked toward the big doors labeled 'High School'.

I was now getting really pissed at my anxiety. I've avoided the camera ever since starting high school and the last proper photo I have was from 6th grade. I was now in Senior year. So I guess I was stuck with this stupid ID with 6th grade me on it.

I searched through my timetable to see that I had Music first thing. Then I came to the map and saw that I had to walk across the field over to the multi-media block. Great.

Soon enough, I arrived. With hardly enough strength to climb to the 3rd floor. And damn, this building has high ceilings. Severely, high ceilings. I plugged my earphones in just to save me from the boredom of taking each step with what 'energy' I have left.

I walked into the room with over 20 pair of eyes staring at me. Last I checked, I wasn't late. Or was I that slow at walking up stairs?

"Ms. Helen's music class?" I asked and I assume Ms. Helen, the completely ivory haired lady nodded.

"Warren, welcome to music class." She greets and actually had a pretty decent smile, except that damn yellow teeth and the coffee breathe. "Why don't you sit next to Lilly?" She says pointing over to this girl with bright red hair.

"Thanks," I cheered and walked over to the seat.

Lilly had a wide smile on her face as I placed my bag down and Ms. Helen started to teach.

"Well alright, so today we're going to practice some jazz but modern song. Can we please get guitar players at the top left end, piano players too right. Drums and percussion at the front. And lastly, bass players just where I'm standing." She orders and everyone took off their seats.

So I guess everyone knew where to go except me. I play all instruments and I honestly don't know where to go. This class was full of students who already played music considering in this school, you get to choose to subject you know most of and would like to take in order to help for college applications.

"Oh yes Warren, what instrument do you play again?" She seeks.

"I play all of these," I replied and she looked appalled. Does she think that low of me?

"Well alright, we're doing Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass and it's a pretty simple chord progression. Do you by any chance know how to play it on any of these instruments?"

Well I could've replied I can play it on all because I can but that would just make me seem like I'm a douche.

"The Bass guitar, I can play it on bass." I answered.

"Marvellous, go join them," She clasps her hands and I smiled and made my way over to the group.

I happened to be in a group with Lilly which I guess you can consider good thing because she did have a wide smile plastered on her face.

"Alright everyone, you guys may go to the rooms and practice and the speakers should be working so just plug one's phone with the AUX chord and go ahead."

I followed suit behind the bass player group because I honestly don't want to be a lost kid even though I have a map in my hands. I took a bass, suit behind the other members and also a tab sheet from one of the tables. I sat down on a stool and tried to follow the bass tab which had a few twists but other than that, easy.

~~~

Snack time came and I honestly enjoy lesson breaks but when you're completely oblivious of what to do, shit can get real. I took an apple and sat down by the field bleachers and plugged in some music. I pretended to casually eat while listening to music and some jocks were having football practice and cheer practice was on. I leaned back on my backpack and just continued to listen to my music.

I heard some soft giggles as girls passed in front of me. I thought it was them somehow flirting with me but when I looked to my side, a brunette guy was sitting beside me. I noticed two things, his shirt was bloody tight and his jaw line was really sharp. Really sharp.