Katrina's head pounded. She had a reoccurring headache she was told was from being slammed into the statue that morning. Whatever the cause, she didn't appreciate it. 

"Headache back again?" Madame Pomfrey inquired. Katrina just nodded. Madame Pomfrey set to work preparing a solution. Katrina braced herself. Madame Pomfrey had been administering this solution all day. It tasted like rotten fruit, and Katrina's gag reflex could barely hold off long enough for her to get it down her throat, but as soon as she did, this smooth pleasant sensation spread through her head, erasing her pain. 

"Better?" Madame Pomfrey asked. Katrina nodded. "Good. Let me know if you need anything else, dear." She retreated to her office. 

She was glad that she could have some time to herself. Madame Pomfrey had shooed out her friends after Katrina had finished explaining her situation to them. Their reactions had been different ranges and combinations of upset and emotional, and she had barely made them promise not to tell anyone when Madame Pomfrey came, spoons blazing, out of her office ordering them to stop disturbing her patient. 

The only disturbance to her thought the last few hours had been her returning headaches, and a visit from Nicole, who came as soon as she could get released from classes to apologize profusely for injuring her. Katrina assured her that it was fine, and that there were no hard feelings. 

The door to the mostly dark hospital wing opened a crack, letting light in from the already torchlit hallway. Scorpius slipped into the wing quietly. Bella and co had probably tipped him off that Pomfrey was attacking visitors. 

"Hey," Katrina whispered when he got close enough to hear her.

"Hey," he said. "How are you doing?"

"Well enough. If I'd stop getting sent to the infirmary, that'd be nice, and I might have a nasty scar on my stomach for the rest of my life, but otherwise I've told I can be released in a day or so. 

"Good, good." Scorpius seemed distracted and.....anxious?

"Scorpius, if you came here to say something, just say it." she demanded curiously. He looked up, startled. 

"Am I that transparent?"

"Right now you are. What's on your mind?" He sighed. 

"I just....I need to tell you.....I thought you deserved to know....."

"Spit it out."

"Albus... ne vous croit pas," he said quickly, with a pained expression on his face. Katrina's heart stopped momentarily.  She swallowed, trying to figure out how to breathe again, and nodded. (Albus....doesn't believe you.)

"Bien," she said shakily. Scorpius shook his head in disbelief. (Alright.)

"Bien? C'est tout ce que tu as à dire ? Après tout ce que vous avez traversé? Bien?" Scorpius seemed upset. (Alright? That's all you have to say? After all you two have been through? Alright?)

"Je suppose que vous avez déjà fait ça avec Albus, et que ça n'a pas fait grand-chose pour l'influencer." Scorpius looked down. (I'm assuming you've already done this with Albus. And that it did little to sway him.)

"Je ne comprends pas comment il a pu jeter ton amitié. Ou comment tu es si calme à ce sujet." (I just don't understand how he could throw your friendship away. Or how you are so calm about it.)

"Mon cœur a l'impression d'avoir été arraché de ma poitrine et brisé en un million de morceaux, mais ça ne changera rien. Le fait est que l'Albus que nous connaissons et aimons est sensible, mais a aussi des rancunes. C'est une partie de lui que nous ignorons, mais nous savons tous les deux qu'il existe. Il a le droit de me haïr après ce que j'ai dit. J'ai brisé sa confiance. Et à la fin de la jour née, il n'y a rien que je puisse dire pour changer d'avis." (My heart feels like it's been ripped from my chest and broken into a million pieces, but that will change nothing. The fact is that the Albus we both know and love is sensitive, but also holds grudges. It's a part of him we ignore, but we both know it exists. He has every right to hate me after the things I said. I broke his trust. And at the end of the day, there is nothing I can say to change Albus' mind.)

"Mais ce n'est pas juste ! Tu fais ça pour le sauver ! Pour le garder en vie !" Katrina smiled a little. (But this isn't fair! You're doing this to save him! To keep him alive!)

"Je donnerais n'importe quoi pour le protéger. Et je suppose qu'à la fin, c'est ce qu'est l'amour. Pour aimer quelqu'un tant, vous êtes prêt à le perdre." (I would give up anything to keep him safe. And I guess in the end, that's what love is. To love someone so much you're willing to lose them.)

Scorpius looked like this struck him hard. There was an expression of intense conflict on his face, and he seemed confused and upset. Katrina wished he didn't take this so hard. It would make it easier to accept losing Albus if Scorpius could accept she was losing him too. 

Neither of them said anything for the rest of the time Scorpius was there. It was almost an hour. Then Scorpius stood, kissed her on the forehead, and left the hospital wing. Katrina waited almost twenty minutes before she pulled the covers over her head and silently sobbed until she was so exhausted she fell asleep. 

Without a doubt she loved him enough to lose him.

But that didn't make it any easier.