Chapter 31

Katrina was quite frankly sick and tired of being kidnapped. 

She had returned to her room after the Yule ball giddy, breathless, and filled with bliss. She had just experienced the most enchanting night of her life. She had managed the approval of Albus' beautiful mother, she had danced the night way in the arms out the man of her dreams, and had finished the night by finally gathering the courage to finally kiss him. It was possibly the shortest kiss known to witch or wizard, but it didn't matter in the slightest. It sent her heart racing in a way nothing else could, and filled her chest with explosive butterflies. She was soaring. 

She fully intended to spend the next day with her friends. Tease Albus, work on the riddle for the second task together, sit under a tree and listen to Scorpius regurgitate their transfiguration textbook, and while she was at it, continue on her excruciating eternal stroll down friendzone lane. Honestly, whatever. It wasn't really Albus' fault that he couldn't take a hint. He inherited that from his father. If a friend was what Albus needed from her, that was fine with her. She would do anything for him.

As vague and uncertain as this agenda may have seemed, it was certainly nothing like how the day actually went.

Katrina woke up, sore all over, bound to a stake in darkness, with a strip of cloth over her mouth as a gag. She was alarmed by how not surprised she was by her situation. No teenager should find being kidnapped normal. But here we are. Despite her unsavory situation, Katrina found her mind wandering to that kiss....

Had she seriously said "You missed?" How incredibly cheesy and unoriginal was that? But it described so accurately how she felt. How many times had they already kissed each other on the cheek by that point? It had felt like a million. It was probably closer to three.

"You're awake." A gas lamp flickered to life, illuminating the space with a soft, eerie glow. They appeared to be in a canvas tent. A small one. Katrina was tethered to the support in the center. She could not see outside. The light fell ominously on her kidnapper's form, leaving a shadow across his face. But she could still recognize him. Even just that voice.....

"Thomas," she said darkly, after he pulled down her gag. "So you're working with Delphi? I should have known." Thomas scoffed.

"Delphi? Please. I don't work for her. But I do have a proposition for you. One you cannot refuse."

" And if I do? " Thomas smiled creepily.

"You won't." 

"Well, don't keep me waiting."

" You are going to go back to Hogwarts. " Thomas circled her slowly. "When you do, you will cease contact with Albus Potter. You won't be his friend anymore. You will give him no reason why." 

"You can't make me do that!"

Thomas knelt on front of her, bringing his face very close to hers. He rested the tip of her wand on her chest. "Hakuna siri zaidi!  That hex will keep tabs on you. Should you attempt to inform anyone of what is going on, it will alert me. If you attempt to violate the contract in any way, I will not hesitate to kill Albus Potter. This tournament means the world to me. His life means nothing. "

"How will this help you with the tournament?"

" You and Albus are impossible to crack together, but without each other you're easier to break down. " He smiled and leaned in closer. "Plus, it gives you and I the opportunity get further acquainted." Katrina wrinkled her nose and turned her head away, residing his advance. He just chuckled, which went a shiver up her spine. "That's part of our agreement," he whispered into her ear. She shivered again and he laughed. " I need to break Potter, by taking what is important to him. So you and I will be getting... Very. Close. "

"You won't break him," Katrina said confidently. " He's strong, and.... I don't mean anything to him. " Thomas smirked and looked into her eyes.

"We'll see." He pulled away from her. "The hex requires you to set your own term before it was will bind. Make your request, but keep in mind; I can become unkind if you say something I don't like. " Katrina did not hesitate.

"You will never kiss me on the lips," she said forcefully. Thomas laughed. She was so sick of that.

"That doesn't exactly limit my options."

"That's my term. "

"The hex will ensure it is upheld." He reached out, tracing the bone structure of her face with his finger. She wanted him to stop touching her. She knew that she was not going to enjoy this arrangement, but it didn't matter. She would do it. She would do anything for Albus.

Thomas reached out, and clamped a cloth over her mouth. Her natural instinct was to struggle as she inhaled the fumes. The last thing she heard as she lost consciousness was Thomas' haunting laugh.