Chapter 32

"So basically you have know idea what we're doing here," Albus' father summed. The Ford Angelina creaked insessinetly as they soared over London, searching for an adequate parking spot away from muggle eyes. 

"Well, when you put it like that-"

"Relax. I get it. Remember, I've been in those shoes."

"You have big feet."

"Don't I know it." They pulled into an alley, revealing the car. Albus pushed open his door with a forceful yank, and stepped out into the damp London air. The ground was wet. It must have rained here the night before. 

St. Mungos was an interesting place. Albus didn't like it. He hated hospitals. Lily was convinced that hospitals were placing of life, healing, and improvement. Albus wasn't convinced. People only went to hospitals if they were hurt, sick, mentally ill, or dying. This wasn't just a cold that you could "heal" with a trip to the doctor or pharmecy. Patients in hospitals, especially in St. Mungos, had something wrong with them. They were in pain, physically or emotionally. Here, the worst cases were the latter. This hospital was an evironment of pain, suffering, struggle, sacrifice, and sometimes... death. 

Albus passed a nurse, who ignored him, nearly colliding with his shoulder as she busily observed patient files, rushing to an unknown point B, likely to attempt to alleviate her subject's suffering. Albus suddenly felt very uncomfortable. The walls of the hospital felt like they were confining him, trapping him with all of this suffering that was too much to bear. 

Without looking his direction, his father rubbed his back comfortingly. It was subtle enough that Albus didn't feel embarassed about his anxiety, but deliberate enough to know that his father understood. He reflected over the change his relationship with his father had undergone in the past two years. It had strengthened and improved further than he had ever thought possible. Two years ago, he thought he would always be a dissapointment to his father. But now, he knew he wasn't.

And best of all, Albus knew that it wasn't the things he had done that made him not a dissapointment. He knew that it was who he was. He knew that his father now appreciated him for his strengths and weaknesses, quirks and flaws. He knew that his father loved him for what he was willing to be. He was enough.

They entered Lockhart's room. He perked up when he saw them. 

"Harry Potter! How marvelous it is to see you again!" He noticed Albus, who unconciously moved backwards awkwardly. "And who is this?"

"This is my son, Albus Severus Potter," he explained. 

"Hello," Albus said quietly. "It's very nice to meet you."

"Well it's simply smashing to meet you as well. Come, have a seat!" He patted the bed next to him enthusiastically. Albus approached hesitantly. "Come on now, I don't bite!" Lockhart urged. Albus finally settled at the edge of the bed. His dad relaxed in a bedside chair. "What is it that brings you today?"

"Well, there's this competition at my school.... It's called the Quadwizard Tournament."

"Oooooh! That sounds exciting! Do go on!"

"Well, there are four schools participating. Beaxbatons, from France, Durmstrang, Hogwarts of course, and Ilvermorny from America. One wizard or witch from each school is selected to be the school's champions in the competion, and I was selected to represent Hogwarts."

"Oooooh! Good for you!" He exclaimed excitedly. He seemed very caught up in the story.

"Well anyway, we're on our second task right now, and our clue to figure out what we're supposed to do is this verse from a song.... And I just know that it's leading me to you."

"Well what a surprising twist! Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about. I am so very sorry about that."

"What? But you must know-"

"I'm sorry, but I don't know anything. I'm very sorry, I'm afraid I'm not of much help. I never have been very helpful. Chloe is very helpful. Maybe she can help you."

"Chloe? Who's- But can't yo-"

"Gilderoy? Pattie said your lunch is-" The woman entering the room paused. "You have visitors!" She noticed Albus' father in the chair. who smiled. "Harry!" she entered the room. Albus' dad rose to meet her, and they hugged friendily. "I haven't seen you in forever! You need to come by more often! And this must be Albus!" She turned to him, placing her hands on her shoulders and leaning back to get a good look at him. "Yes, it must be."

"Um...Er... How do you know who I am?"

"Well, your father talks about you all the time. It's all he can talk about when he get a word in edgewise with Gilderoy. James, Albus, Lily, and Ginny. His wonderful family. I've heard so much about you I swear it's like I've known you my whole life! I bet I could pick you out of the Quiditch Cup crowd in a heartbeat, I know you that well!"

"Well... I don't know who you are."

"I'm Chloe! I'm a nurse here at the hospital and Gilderoy is my boyfriend." Albus noticed her nurse's scrubs. "Of course I don't treat Gilderoy anymore," she added. "They transferred me when we started dating."

"Ah," Albus said. 

"So what brings you folks today?" Chloe walked to Gilderoy's side and busied herself like it was second nature. It probably was. She fixed the flowers beside his bed, adjusting them, picking off dead leaves and letting them float into the trash. She organized his belongings on the bedside table and adjusted the controls on the bed. Gilderoy contentedly played with a strand of her dark brunette hair. It was slightly curly and loose around her shoulders. 

"I had a question for Mr. Lockhart. I thought he could help me, but I guess he can't." Chloe froze. 

"Help with what?"

"Well I'm a champion in the Quadwizard tournament-"

"Ooooh! I thought you'd never come!"

"We only got the clue-"

"Oh I know but I'm so excited!"

"So I need to talk to you?"

"McGonagall told me the champions would come. Silly Gil has no short-term memory. Here," she dug through a drawer in the corner of the hospital room. She produced a scroll, with the Hogwarts seal in the center. "This is for you. She said it would help you with your next task." Albus took it in his hands. 

"Thank you!" he said. He was thrilled to have figured this out all on his own. 

"Leaving already?" Lockhart said in dismay. 

"Don't worry," Albus assured him. "I'll come back to visit." Lockhart smiled broadly.

"Jolly good!" Albus waited until they left the hospital room to shoot a bewildered face at his dad. 

"That man is crackers."

"Oh, he's definitely out of his mind. But he means well. And he's better than he was before."

The two climbed into the car. Albus' dad threw a folded-up lump of fabric at Albus, which he unfolded slightly to discover that it was a new pair of robes.

"If your mother asks, that's what we were doing," his father said as he started the car. It whirred to life with an uninspiring series of squeaks and screeches.

"Neither of us are good at lying to mom. You know that."

"We hope it doesn't come to that."