Chapter 38

"-Best Wishes, Professor McGonagall," Albus finished with a bemused smirk. This was going to be ridiculously easy. How many times had he heard his father tell the story of the Chamber of Secrets? Too many. He knew it like the back of his hand. It was like he had been there. Scorpius shared his confidence.

"You're going to nail this task," he assured him. 

"It'd be embarrassing if I didn't," Albus added. 

"That's true." Albus sighed. Nothing could keep him distracted for long. Scorpius recognized the distinct dismay on his face. 

"Just don't think about it," he urged. "I'm sure it's just a huge misunderstanding. Katrina's been acting really weird for a while now. I'm sure there's something wrong we don't know about."

"Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"Because you'd fuss over her and worry."

"Maybe you're right."

"Of course I am. When am I not?"

"You don't want me to answer that."

"Hey!"

"I'm going to get some air," he said, standing and grabbing his wand and cloak. 

"No you're not," Scorpius insisted. "Not alone, with Delphi still out there."

"I can handle myself, Scorpius," Albus said, gently pushing past his friend. "I just need to clear my head. I've got a lot on my mind and so much at stake tomorrow. I just need to breathe." Scorpius reluctantly ceased in preventing him. He threw his cloak over him, exiting the dungeons and walking the corridors. He walked over the grounds, to the bridge at the end, where he liked to go to think. He was startled to discover that he was not alone. There was someone leaning on the railing of the stone bridge, looking out over the deep crevasse below. She was singing. It was then that he realized who it was. He would recognize her voice anywhere. She sounded upset, and it hurt his heart.

 "I keep fighting voices in my mind that say I'm not enough 

Every single lie that tells me I will never measure up 

Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low? 

Remind me once again just who I am, because I need to know 

ooh oh 

You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing 

You say I am strong when I think I am weak 

You say I am held when I am falling short 

When I don't belong, oh You say that I am Yours 

And I believe , 

oh I believe 

What You say of me 

I believe 

The only thing that matters now is everything You think of me 

In You I find my worth, in You I find my identity, 

ooh oh

You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing 

You say I am strong when I think I am weak 

And You say I am held when I am falling short 

When I don't belong, oh You say that I am Yours 

And I believe, 

oh I believe 

What You say of me 

Oh, I believe 

Taking all I have and now I'm laying it at Your feet 

You have every failure God, and You'll have every victory, 

ooh oh

You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing 

You say I am strong when I think I am weak 

You say I am held when I am falling short 

When I don't belong, oh You say that I am Yours 

And I believe, 

oh I believe 

What You say of me 

I believeOh I believe, 

yes I believe 

What You say of me 

Oh I believe."  Katrina was now crying. Albus wanted to comfort her, but he wasn't sure where they stood. Would she even want to see him? She peered out over the edge of the bridge again. Her hand rested on the railing. She looked away for a moment as if shielding herself from something painful. Albus didn't understand. Then, using the railing for leverage, she swung one leg over and peered down once more. Albus realized at once what she was doing. 

Abandoning his cloak, he ran to her, pulling her off of the railing and seizing her by the shoulders. She crumpled into his arms and sobbed into his shoulder. Before he had a chance to ask her about what she had almost done, she jerked violently, her hand going to her forehead. She pushed him away. 

"Get away from me!" she yelled. 

"Kat, what's-"

"Don't call me that! My name is Katrina! Now stay away from me!" Albus didn't understand. 

"Katrina, what is wrong? You've been acting so strange lately I'm here for you! Let me help you! I don't understand, but I'm willing to listen! Help me understand!"

"You will never understand!" she cried. "Albus Potter will never understand! You think you can constantly look down on everyone else just because your father is Harry Potter! News flash, you are nothing like your father! People around you get hurt and you can do nothing to stop it! You are weak! You are privileged and insensitive and completely ignorant to the pain of others and you will never understand how I feel! Ever!" Now Albus was crying. He didn't understand what would provoke her to say all of these awful things. 

"What is wrong with you?" He yelled angrily. "You know the things I've gone through with my dad! You are the worst friend!"

"I wish I had never met you Albus Potter!" she yelled. "Being stuck in that closet for the rest of my life would be more pleasant than having to know you!" Albus took that hit hard. 

"I can't believe you!" He cried indignantly. Then, regaining his composure, "Thank you!"

"What?"

"Katrina, I thought I loved you! So, thank you! Thank you for keeping me from making the worst mistake of my life! I wish I had never opened that closet! I hate you! I hate you, Katrina Fizzleworth! You can marry Thomas Done for all I care! You deserve each other!" Blinded by angry tears, he snatched up his cloak and ran away, leaving Katrina stunned and destroyed. 

She didn't think anything could hurt as much as having to pretend to hate Albus. She was wrong. 

As horrible as the things she had said had been, she hadn't meant any of them. She had only said them because she knew Albus was insecure about them, and if she didn't, the hex would warn Thomas and he would kill Albus. But what Albus had said.... 

He had really meant that. Tears stung her eyes again, and she crumpled to the ground, sobbing. She was so sick of this. She was so sick of everything. She wished Albus had let her jump off that bridge. Than she never would have had to do what she just did. 

And she never would have had to hear those words. 

"Katrina, I thought I loved you! So, thank you! Thank you for keeping me from making the worst mistake of my life!"

A/N I cried a lot writing this....