Chapter 25

January passed without much event. On the morning of February  2nd, everyone was in the great hall eating breakfast when the Headmistress called for their attention.

"As I am sure many of you have realized, we are a bit further behind schedule in the tournament than intended. Traditionally, on Christmas Eve we would have had the Yule ball. Instead, we are holding it on February 14th this year... on Valentines Day." The great hall burst into whispers. "Fourth years and up are allowed to attend the dance. Third and Second years are permitted to attend if asked by a Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, or Seventh year." more whispers. "That is all." The hall burst into chatter as people discussed who they were going to ask, and what they were going to wear.  

Scorpius spotted Polly Chapman and a bunch of other Gryffindor girls giggling and pointing in their direction. Polly whispered something to one of the other girls and gestured to Scorpius. The other girl rolled her eyes and pointed to Albus. A couple of the other girls giggled in agreement. Scorpius' eyes went wide. He elbowed Albus.

"Al, those girls over there are going to ask us to the dance," Scorpius told him frantically. Albus looked where he was pointing.

"Oh, no," he groaned. "Where's my invisibility cloak when I need it?"

"You know, there's a simpler solution," Katrina told him.

"What?" He implored.

"Just ask someone else before they have a chance to ask you."

"Who would possibly want to go with me?"

"That is a very good question." Albus shot her aa glare.

"You're not helping."

"Am I supposed to be?"

"They're coming this way!" he whispered desperately. "What do I do." Katrina rolled her eyes. As the girls approached their table she turned to Albus.

"Albus, would you go to the dance with me?" The Gryffindor girls gaped in outrage.

"Wh-me?" Albus stuttered.

"Albus is your name isn't it?"

"Y-yes. I'll go to the dance with you." The Gryffindor girls left the table fuming, besides Polly, who smiled and leaned on the table.

"So Scorpius, I was wondering if you would like to go to the Yule Ball with me." Scorpius was pale.

"I- uh- I... um..."

"What Scorpius means to say," Bella interrupted, "Is that he is flattered by your offer, but he cannot accept it."

"And why not?" Polly demanded angrily.

"Because he's already been asked. And he said yes."

"Yeah, and who is he going with?"

"Me," Bella replied coolly, checking her nails.

"You?" Polly screeched in outrage. She whirled around and faced Scorpius for confirmation.

"I- uh- ya. Ya, I'm going with Bella." Polly turned Gryffindor red and stormed away angrily. Bella turned back to her plate.

"You two owe us big time," Katrina told them.

"Thanks, Kat." Albus said gratefully. "What would we do without you?" He kissed her on the cheek and left quickly. The rest of the group stared at her with raised eyebrows.

"Not a word," Katrina said.

"What was that about?" Sabrina sked, ignoring her previous request. "He kisses you on the cheek and we're gonna say nothing about it?"

"This is actually the third time it's happened."

"Really?" Scorpius asked. "And neither of you thought to mention this earlier?"

"Who are you, my dad?" Katrina said.

"And when did this happen?"

"The first was on Christmas Eve. That one was me, because we were sitting under mistletoe. The second one was Albus on New years eve."

"Where were you guys?" Parisa interrupted. "You disappeared together when we first got there and I only saw you at the end of the party and Albus the next day."

"We were hiding behind a curtain." she stated. "Anyway, the third one was just now. I don't think they really mean anything."

"Seriously?" Scorpius said. "You both are crazy. You should just get together already."

"I could say the same thing for you and Rose," Katrina retorted. Scorpius frowned.

"That's complicated."

"How is it complicated?" Katrina ranted. "You two are crazy for each other. I think you're making this complicated." Before Scorpius could respond, James sauntered over and sat on the bench next to Parisa.

"So, I was wondering if a certain someone would like to attend the Yule Ball with me." Parisa giggled.

"And who would that be?" James chuckled.

"I don't know. Let me see." He grinned and Parisa giggled. "Will you go to the Yule Ball with me, Parisa?"

"Yes, I would love to," she said with a smile. He turned to the others.

"Does anybody need a date? I could find someone for anybody who needs one."

"I'm going with Albus," Katrina told him. He smiled and wiggled his eyebrows.

"Are you now?" She just glared at him.

"And I'm going with Scorpius," Bella added.

"Sabrina needs a date," Parisa announced. Sabrina groaned.

"I don't want a date!" she complained. James grinned.

"Don't worry," he assured her. "I'll find you someone good."