Chapter 47

The next morning at breakfast wasn't easy. It was only a little easier than learning the truth about everything that had been happening with Katrina. The thought that all this time Katrina had been carrying this with her and that he had not only not been there for her, but loathed her through it, was almost too much to bear. He didn't know how he could look her in the eye, or how he could ever make it up to her, but he knew he would do his best and hoped she could find it in her to forgive him. 

Bella, Parisa, and Sabrina were ready to commit murder when they entered the great hall. They were pretty intimidating, with Parisa and Sabrina flanking Bella in their matching uniforms, with matching uniforms and deadly expressions. 

A few professors tried to make it to them, but they didn't have much of a chance. They had only been in the hall a few seconds before the news broke. 

"I see you've heard that your little friend has been kidnapped," Alecia called apathetically, a hint of malice in her expression. Bella stopped dead. 

"What?" She said. She turned to the professors, who were silently cursing themselves for not making it sooner. 

"Is this true?" She asked. Professor Finnigan nodded. Sabrina froze and Parisa choked. Bella bristled. 

"Well what are we doing standing here, than?!?" Bella shouted. The entire hall had fallen silent. All eyes were on the girls, just now finding out that their friend had been abducted.

"Miss Lachapelle-"

"Standing here trying to get me to calm down won't help Katrina!" Bella yelled

"But!"

"What's the ministry doing, anyway, weren't they supposed to have caught this witch by now?" Bella, normally level-headed, was getting a little hysterical. Albus rose and tentatively touched her shoulder. 

"Bella-" She whirled around and there was an uncontrollable fire in her eyes. 

"And you!" she shouted recklessly. "You and your stupid stubborn pride you-" She began to slam her fist into his chest with each word. "Stupid! Ignorant! Foul! Loathsome! Unforgiving! Toad! She was trying to help you and you just couldn't see past your own stupidity and now she's gone and we might-Never! Get her! Back!" As Bella pummeled him, Albus stood still and upon this last broken statement, she gave in, collapsing into Albus' arms and sobbing. 

The hall was deathly quiet, as Albus hugged Bella, providing the only comfort he could. 

"She's only ever been what everyone wanted from her." Bella whispered in between sobs. "She never complained. She never-" Albus nodded into her hair, letting her know she didn't have to continue. He knew what she meant. "She never deserved any of this," she finished. 

No one in the hall dared to breathe. Everyone had been scared, a little frightened for their own lives and their friends'. There had been light speculation about who would be kidnapped next, hushed whispers about those who had already been taken when the teachers were out of earshot, passed rumors about Delphi and her plans. But before this moment no one in the school had allowed themselves to feel the fear. They had all put on a brave face, slipped on a mask of security. But seeing Bella, who just moments ago had looked ready to take them all single-handed, reduced to tears and hopeless, dissolved the false reality they had allowed themselves to live in. 

No one thought this was funny. No one thought they were safe. 

This was real life. 

"Students, these last few months have been trying on all of us," McGonagall said sympathetically. Slowly, like in a dream, the students moved their focus from Bella to the headmistress. "I know that you tire of hearing the same speech; that the ministry is days away from finding Delphi and returning your classmates to you, that the tournament will continue as planned, that you are safe, that you are not to panic. I know that you believe it as much as I do. There have been few times in Hogwarts' history where the school has been subject to such danger, I will be honest. However, Delphi is only targeting Quadwizard Tournament Champions, that much is obvious. The rest of you are perfectly safe. I have spoken with the champions and they have all agreed to accept the risk and continue with the tournament as planned."