Chapter 36

"Guys.....ut up! .....think she's waking up."

Katrina's eyes slowly opened. She was in the hospital wing. Bella was sitting on the right edge of her bed. She suspected she was the source of the agressive comments preceding her awakening. Sabrina and Parisa were standing at the end of her bed. Scorpius sat at the foot of her bed, and Rose sat in a chair to her left, a deliberate distance away from Scorpius. Katrina noticed they kep shooting each other passive agressive glares. What was going on with those two? Hadn't they just worked it out?

Katrina did not fail to notice that Scorpius was here, but not Albus. 

"What happened?" she whispered. Her friends all looked around at each other. 

"Well-" Scorpius started, but he was interrupted by Madame Pomfrey bustling through the crowd to her side. 

"Give her some room, she needs some space," she said to no one in particular, as everyone had successfully respected said "space". Madame Pomfrey helped her sit up, and handed her some water. "Drink," she commanded. Katrina did. Then Madame Pomfrey handed her a chocolate bar. "Eat this," she said, breaking off a chunk for her. "Eat it all, but don't eat it too fast. Take your time."

"What happened?" she repeated, this time directing her question to Madame Pomfrey. 

"Well, I'm not sure about everything leading up to it, that your friends will have to fill you in on. But the two boys who were in here earlier indicated that you were having much trouble breathing and experiencing chest pains. These girls say you seemed a bit off right before that, maybe a little dizzy? Lightheaded?" She paused for comfirmation. Katrina nodded. Madame Pomfrey expected this. "Yes, you've defenitely had a panic attack, dear. Have you had troubles with anxiety in the past?" Katrina shook her head.

 "In any case, this is the worst panic attack I've seen in all my years at this school, and I've seen some pretty big ones. I suggest that you take better care of yourself. Hydration is very important. If you ever feel off, don't hesitate to get out for some fresh air or to come see me. I can give you chocolate anytime, it's a good quick fix for this kind of thing, but in your case I suggest more extensive treatment."

"Like?" Katrina asked hesitantly. 

"Sweetie, I have worked at this school for decades, and never before have I seen such an enormous panic attack. Obviously something is weighing on you and unless you make some peace with it this is only going to get worse. I'm recomending you for therapy effective immediately."

"I don't need-" Katrina began to protest, but she was interrupted. 

"Don't tell me what you need," Madame Pomfrey said, a lot calmer than anyone would have expected. "You obviously aren't attending well enough to you mental health, which means we're going to have to care for it for you. I've already spoken to your friends about how they can help you through this. You need some help, whether you are willing to admit it or not. Now, I'm letting your friends stay in here because you need some downtime to relax and be social. You are excused from your classes today, so don't stress." With that she hurried away to tend to some other patients.

"Wait, does that mean that-"

"You slept through all of yesterday and last night," Rose confirmed. "You gave us all quite a scare." And before Katrina could say it- "And don't say you're fine because we know that's not true. Lying about it isn't going to help anyone." Katrina went quiet. Judging by the looks on all her friends' faces- worried and a little upset- they all felt the same way. 

"What happened?" She repeated one more time. 

"Well, all we know is what Albus told us," Scorpius said. "Thomas didn't stick around long after you got here yesterday. Said he had some important things to do."

"Albus was here?" Katrina asked, surprised. All eyes fell on her, concerned and curious, and her gut twisted.

"He never left your side," Scorpius said quietly. "Not until about half an hour ago. Didn't seem to think you'd want to see him when you woke up." This last statement was accompanied by a meaningful look. Katrina avoided his eyes, and everyone exchanged concerned looks, but no one pushed the matter. 

"He said he saw you looked troubled in the great hall and when you ran out so abruptly, he wanted to make sure you were okay. He followed you outside, but when he was coming down the hill you saw you snogging Thomas-"

"I wasn't snogging Thomas!" she cried indignantly, but suddenly a searing cold pain pierced her between the eyes. She cried out in pain, clutching her forehead. It was friendly reminder from the hex. Her lovely baby monitor. All of her friends had leapt up and gathered around her at her pain, but she waved them off. 

"It's Fine," she insisted. The pain had left as quickly as it had come. Settling back in his spot at the end of the bed, Scorpius continued warily. 

"Well whatever the case, Albus seemed to think you were snogging Thomas, and he didn't- er- feel the need to intrude, so he turned to start heading back to the castle, but he had only just started back when he heard Thomas yelling. He turned around and you were passed out on the ground. Thomas was just standing there, yelling, not sure what to do I guess. Albus ran to you. You were gasping for breath, so he cast a spell to keep you breathing just a little longer. He picked you up and carried you here, where Madame Pomfrey was able to sort you out." Scorpius smirked.

"Then he punched Thomas in the face and started yelling at him for hurting you. Thomas barely choked out that he hadn't done anything before I could pull Al off of him. Madame Pomfrey waited until after to tell Albus that you'd most likely had a panic attack. Seemed ruddy pleased to see Thomas all beaten up. I reckon she's had it out for him since he shot you with that poison arrow and got off for it. Whatever the case, Thomas left as soon as Madame Pomfrey set his nose straight and asked us to come and find him you woke up, but there's no way I'm doing that. We stayed here a long while, but we went off to bed. Albus insisted on staying here. I don't think he slept a wink."

"He didn't!" Madame Pomfrey provided, revealing that she had been listening the entire time. The group exchanged amused looks as they realized that she hadn't denied being happy to see Thomas hurt. 

"Well anyway, I reckon your hungry," Scorpius guessed. He turned behind him and revealed a tray of breakfast food from the great hall. Katrina accepted it. 

"You guys can go to your classes," she offered. "I know that there are some pretty big lectures today that you guys probably shouldn't miss. I really am fine now." Her friends exchanged glances. Scorpius gave Bella a meaningful nod and she nodded back. 

"Well in that case, we'll take notes for you," Bella said, shouldering her school bag. Sabrina and Parisa followed suit. "We'll come see you at lunch."

"Actually-" Parisa piped up. "I made plans with James for lunch," she said apologetically. "Sorry. But I'll see you after class," she added hopefully. Katrina grinned. 

"Of course," she said. "Enjoy your lunch with James. I'll see you guys later." They left the infimary. Rose quickly stood, realizing that they were one person away from her being alone with Scorpius. She bent down to whisper to Katrina. 

"My cousin really likes you. He doesn't let people in very often. I'll always be your friend, but please don't screw him up." Katrina swallowed nervously as she left, leaving only Scorpius. Somehow, that made her more nervous. He just looked at her sadly. 

"Please don't hurt my friend." Then he got up and left the infirmary. When she was sure that no one was around, Katrina buried her face in her blanket and sobbed.