Chapter 3

Albus aimlessly wandered the halls, hoping the Gryffindor girls who had been stalking him recently wouldn't be around the next corner he turned. The halls felt oddly empty as they should have been at Hogwarts, and Albus felt a chill run up on his spine.

Since Delphi had tortured him last year, Albus had felt different. He hadn't confided this to his family, but he had nightmares- not the kind he had last year but the same one over and over again.

He would be walking through the Hogwarts halls, all alone, as he was now, no one in sight. Then the lights would flicker and go out. Slowly down every hall the lights would flicker and die. A misty fog would roll into the halls, thick as soup, surrounding Albus. Frost would creep along the stone walls. Then Albus would be filled with unbearable pain. Albus could almost actually feel it. Then he would wake up, and the chill of the hallway would still be there.

Albus felt paranoid. What if his dream came to life...

"You okay, Al?" Albus looked up quickly. James looked concerned. "You look a little pale."

"I'm...fine," Albus lied, but James saw right through him, and Albus knew it.

"You are a terrible liar."

"It works on dad."

"Dad's deception blind. Haven't you heard his stories? Tom riddle's diary? Barty Crouch Jr? Cho Chang?"

"Yah, yah, dad couldn't tell a lie from truth if it slapped him in the face." James folded his arms.

"Albus, what's wrong?"

"Noth-"

"And don't try lying to me." Albus sighed.

"I don't know James. It's just...." he paused and sighed again. "It's just after last year..." They had wandered near the great entrance. It was just before dinner, so it was rather dark. James sat down on a bench.

"Is this about what Delphi did to you?" Albus was hesitant. "Albus, you can talk to me. I'm your older brother." Albus sighed and sat down next to him.

"Yes," he admitted.

"Albus, have you been having dreams recently?"

"Not like last year, but...yah." Albus explained to James about the dreams.

"That... doesn't sound good."

"No, it isn't."

"Well Delphi can't get you here, Albus."

"She did last year. She got in here without even breaking sweat and took Lily, and Rose, and Kat-" Albus was close to tears.

"Hey, that's why McGonagall is doing the tournament this year. It gives the ministry an excuse to place extra security on Hogwarts, and with usch a big event going on, it will be hard for Delphi to do anything. Plus, every wizarding government in the world is looking for Delphi right now."

"And they still haven't found her."

"But they will," James assured him. "For now, all you should be worried about are the three Gs of life."

"The three Gs?"

"Games, grades, and girls." James grinned.

"You confuse me sometimes."

"What's to be confused about? The most important things in life are having fun, not getting expelled, and having a hot girlfriend." He threw his arm around Albus.

"Speaking of which, you got your eyes on any girls?"

"Nah," Albus said. "After being stalked by half of the ones that go here, I think I've had enough of them." James shrugged.

"That's too bad. Cause you could probably have your pick of anyone."

"That's what scares me. Two years ago, I had to break something to get someone to look at me. Now all I have to do is breathe." James laughed.

"That will come in handy at the Yule ball." Albus groaned.

"I forgot that there was a ball as part of the competition."

"How?"

"Because I was trying hard not to remember."

"C'mon, it'll be fun! Plus, you'll have to go if you're gonna be champion."

"And why would I be champion?"

"Um... the question is why wouldn't you be?"

"Nah, I heard you at the table. Being the champion is your big dream. I wouldn't want to stand in front of that."

"Oh, that was just for show. Between you and me, I hope desperately that my name doesn't come out of that goblet, but it would be awesome if I could cheer on my little brother."

"Really?"

"Yah."

"Well, I guess if it means that much to you I can put my name in, but I'll guarantee you that my name won't come out."

"I think you'll surprise yourself."

"If my name comes out, I will definitely be surprised."