Chapter 10

"The clue for the first task is ready to be presented to the champions." The entire hall hushed. "This year, the clue for each task will be in the form of a riddle." She unrolled a scroll

"Where nothing is lost,

And all is found,

You'll find me when it really counts.

Half past six,

Plus half of nine.

Your enemy is always time.

When all is young,

And past is old,

But yet before the normal toll.

Wit now determines our champions' fate,

To have hope, Don't be late. "

Classes passed quickly. Everyone was excited for the weekend. Christmas was on Saturday. Tonight was Christmas Eve.

"Have you figured it out yet?" Albus nearly jumped out of his skin.

"Oh, it's just you Rose." For an instant, the cold feeling from his dreams had crept into his heart.

"Who else would it be?"

"Um- I- did you need something?"

"Right. I was asking if you had solved the riddle yet."

"I haven't had much time to think about it."

"Don't you see? it said it blatantly in the riddle! 'You're enemy is always time'? It's obvious! If you don't hurry and solve the riddle, it might be too late!"

"Fine," The two walked down the trail past Hagrid's house that led down to the Black Lake. "What do you think, then?"

"Well, I'll have to do some hard research before I tackle the first verse, but the second is obvious. Half past six is 6:30. Half of nine is 4 and a half hours. That makes 11:00. Wherever the place is that is undoubtedly described in the first verse, you'll have to be there at 11:00."

"AM or PM?"

"You'll have to try both just to be sure."

"And the third verse?"

"When all is young, and past is old. Well let's see. When something is new-" Albus ponders this.

"New...New...New! New Years! That's coming up isn't it? And the line "But yet before the normal toll"? That means that on New Years the stereotypical time would be midnight, but this is at 11:00!"

"That's brilliant!"

"Now if only we could figure out where..."

"We'll have to do extensive research." Albus groaned.

"That's the last thing I want to be doing."