Chapter 39

Katrina did not want to get out of bed the next day. Her friends had heard her return last night, sobbing and distraught. They now burst into her room demanding answers. Parisa sat in the chair at the vanity, Bella sat on the bed beside her, and Sabrina made herself comfortable on the floor. It was early in the morning, so no one else was awake and Katrina wouldn't have breakfast for an excuse for another few hours yet. 

"Come on girl," Bella said in her no-nonsense voice. "You're not getting away without telling us what happened. Katrina put her face in her pillow and shook her head. Bella pushed her over so she was facing them. 

"Come on, tell us. What happened? Did someone hurt you?" Katrina sighed, and curled up, trying to push all thought of yesterday out of her mind. 

"It was my fault," she said. 

"No way," Parisa said. "Don't go covering things up again. We're here to help you."

"She's right," Sabrina said. "Just tell us." Katrina wiped away tears and stood up. She quickly changed into her uniform.

"I can't," she said finally as she crossed over to the vanity and snatched her hairbrush. Tears spilled despite her best efforts. "What I did was horrible," she said as she ran the hairbrush through her long hair. She hastily stuck in two bobbypins.

"I can't have been-"

"If you want to know," Katrina said abruptly, picking up her wand as school bag, and furiously wiping away tears. "Than ask Scorpius. I'm sure Albus told him." Then she left the room before her friends could question her about Albus' involvement in her emotional outburst. 

Katrina ran as fast as she could across the school grounds. It was still dark outside. She tripped over a tree root and skinned her knee, but thankfully didn't stain her uniform. She quickly carried on. She ran through the corridors of the castle until she found Professor's Griff's door. She prayed he was in his office. It was a longshot. 

She knocked rapidly on his door. To her relief, from inside she heard:

"Come in?" She opened the door. Professor Griff was at his desk, bewildered to find Katrina in his office so early in the morning. Maverick, however, was delighted to see her. He flew over and nuzzled her affectionately. Sensing her emotional distress, he was only slightly disappointed when she didn't notice his sentiment. 

"Sit down," Professor Griff said at once. Flinging his notebook out of his desk drawer. It stopped in the air in it's usual place and the quill zoomed off his desk, taking it's place in front of it. He took his seat. "I something wrong?" He asked, a little unnecessarily. Her face was tearstained and distraught, her hair was only half brushed, her uniform was untidy, and her knee was bleeding profusely. He gestured to Maverick to grab a medical kit from his desk. All Katrina could do was nod. 

"That's okay," he said. "Just breathe. Take however long you need. You don't have to talk until you're ready. And please, eat the chocolate. It will make you feel better." As he said this, Maverick dropped the chocolate bar in her lap, and set to work meticulously cleaning and bandaging her knee, no small feat for an owl, especially one of his size. 

Katrina reluctantly took a bite of the chocolate and tried to collect herself. She about ready when there was a loud series of knocks on the door. 

"I'm in session!" Professor Griff called, unable to comprehend why there would be not one, but two people who needed to see him this early in the morning. Despite his warning, the door burst open. Katrina lost herself all over again under Scorpius' steely glare. 

"What have you done to my friend?" he demanded angrily. 

"Mr. Malfoy, this is not appropriate-" 

"Neither is what she did to my friend!" he exclaimed, moving closer to her. Professor Griff sighed, pulling his wand from his robes. Katrina hadn't yet seen him use it and for some reason it threw her off a bit to see him with one. With a flick, the door slammed shut. Another, and a seat materialized next to Katrina's. With a final flourish, Scorpius was forced into this seat, and could not approach Katrina, try as he may.