Kisses and a Gift | Jonathan Byers

6

6. Wild, breathless kisses brought on by a heartfelt gift.

Ever since you had started dating Jonathan over two years ago, something had become clear to you. Jonathan Byers, the man you loved and would do anything for, had a long language that was centred around showing affection, and often, giving gifts.

When your birthday came around, or Christmas was coming up, Jonathan always searched for a gift that was just right for you, whether it be a book or a new record or something that you had eyed in the shop window earlier that week, he always wanted his gifts to have meaning.

But the one gift that made you want to tackle the boy to the ground and tell him how much you loved him, was the gift he got you when you graduated university. It was a simple gift, just an old gold ring strung up on a silver necklace, but to the both of you, it meant the world. Because you knew that the ring was one of the most important things that his family-owned, and you knew that Joyce would never part with it unless it was for someone special because it was her mother's ring.

So when he gave you that ring, placed it gently in your palm with a look of so much love and adoration, you couldn't help but let your mouth drop open slightly, no words leaving like you wished they would.

"Look, I know that the ring isn't polished and it's decades old and been worn before, but my mum thought it was finally time I give it to you since I've been meaning to for the last year or so. And, I thought it would be a good graduation present because you deserve it."

A silence fell upon the both of you then, because you still couldn't respond and soon Jonathan was rubbing the back of his neck anxiously and regretting everything that had happened in the last ten minutes.

But then you were kissing him, your lips on his and your arms encircling his neck, pulling him close with a gasp from him and pressing yourself to his front. The kiss was wild, untamable and so frantic that it had the both of you nearly tripping over the edge of the living room rug just so you could collapse down onto the couch, his lanky body hovering over yours.

For a moment, he pulled away, lips red and slightly swollen, cheeks blushing and his forehead pressed against yours, and he grinned down at you, a bright grin that made your already full heart swell.

"So, I'm guessing you like the gift."

"Yes, Jonathan. I love the gift, and I love you."

He kissed you this time, smiling softly and winding a hand into your hair, making you breathless and goosebumps rise up on your skin. Your body sunk deeper into the couch and your tongues crept into each others mouth, exploring and flicking against each other in a way that made Jonathan's toes curl.

That ring, that hung from around your neck on the long silver chain, became your most prized possession. And it wasn't just because it was pretty and made out of gold, but because Jonathan had given it to you, and you knew how much love and trust he had for you to give you that ring.

And neither of you would ever forget that.

--------