11 - Saturday Night

Diego grabbed my hand and we ran, everyone else running in different directions. If we were spotted – which I don't think we were – they wouldn't be able to chase all of us. We made it a few blocks away before slowing down and I had to lean on the side of a building to catch my breath. I'm sure some of the concrete dust I inhaled had settled in my lungs.

"Hey, you alright?" Diego asked.

"Yeah." I said, standing up straight, "Just needed a breather. How's your head?" I touched the cut and he winced.

"It's fine, I heal fast." He said.

I used the sleeve of my sweater to wipe away the blood on his forehead, "You know, you get hit in the head a little too much. I'm not sure I like it."

He chuckled and wiped my cheek with his thumb, showing me the small bit of blood, "Well you get hurt a little too much, period. And I definitely don't like that."

I hooked my arm with his and continued walking, "All a part of the job description babe. You'd think you'd be used to it by now."

We arrived at the Superstar Bowling Alley twenty minutes later since we walked the whole way and the others were already there. I told Diego to go over without me and watched as he went over to sit beside Klaus. Luther and Allison were in the chairs across from them and Five was sitting in the chairs down the middle facing the lanes.

I went to the concession stand and ordered a large soda because I was parched. I wouldn't be able to focus on anything if my mouth felt like sandpaper. I paid for the soda and then joined my family, sitting beside Five in the closest seat to Klaus as I took long swigs from my drink.

"Oh, thanks." Klaus said, taking my drink from me.

"Hey! Get your own!" I protested, trying to take it back. He managed to get a few good slurps in before I was able to snatch it back.

"Okay, now that everyone is here. We can get started." Five said, turning the conversation back to the problem at hand.

"Listen, I hate to be the one to say this but everyone needs to prepare." Luther said.

"For what?" Diego asked.

"To do whatever it takes to stop Vanya." Luther said as if it was obvious, only to receive a hit from Allison. Good. If she didn't do it, I would have. "We may not have a choice Allison."

"Bullshit." Diego said.

"Seconded." I said.

"There's always options." Diego added.

"Oh yeah, like what?" Five asked skeptically.

"I don't know."

"We can try talking to her. Since you know, we haven't tried that yet." I pointed out, shooting a

glare in Luther's direction.

"Whatever we decide, we need to find her first and fast. She could be anywhere." Luther said, standing up.

"Or... here." Klaus said, looking at the newspaper. He got up and held it in front of us for us all to see.

"That's right, her concert is tonight." Diego said.

"There is no way should would miss that." I said.

"Hello everyone." One of the attendants said, coming over to us, "I hate to intrude but my boss says that if you're not going to bowl, you gotta leave." She shrugged with a stupidly infuriating smile and left.

"The customer service here really leaves something to be desired." I said as loudly and as sarcastically as I could.

Luther lifted up one of the bowling balls angrily and tossed it over his shoulder. It bounced across two lanes before knocking out a strike. He did it while glaring at the manager. The Luther I knew last week would have apologized and suggested we all convene elsewhere. I'm not sure I liked this edgier Luther because he wanted to kill Vanya.