6 - This Years Love

The next morning, I woke up on a bed that wasn't my own. It was really early and still dark out. That wasn't the strange part though. The strange part was, I don't even remember going to bed to begin with. I shifted my eyes around and saw that I was in Diego's room, on his bed and turned my head to the side when I heard shuffling. Diego was sitting in a chair, tying up his boots.

"Hey." I said quietly, sitting up.

He looked to me before tying his second boot and then came over so sit beside me, but facing his headboard, "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm okay." I said through a yawn and moved my once injured ankle around, "Looks like my ankle is better. Thank god for super human healing."

Diego took my injured arm and undid the bandages. The wound was scabbed over and it was still tender, so I winced when he ran his fingers over it, "This will probably take another day or so to heal properly."

"Figures." I said and looked around his room, "Why am I in here?"

"You fell asleep on the couch last night and thought you'd be more comfortable in a bed."

"But why your room?"

"I wanted to keep you close." He said quietly, grabbing a new bandage from his night stand to rewrap my forearm.

I sighed, "Diego... I know we never out right said anything but I thought..."

"That I'd be your dirty little secret?" He didn't snap but he wasn't kind either.

"I never said that." I defended myself, clenching my fists before releasing them in defeat, "I just think that until we know for sure what this is, we shouldn't bring much attention to it. You understand, don't you?"

He nodded, "Yeah. I understand." He said and then stood up, "I have to head out. I'll see you later."

He left before I could reply and I frowned. He said he understood but his actions say otherwise. I flopped back down and stared at the ceiling. Where was he even going anyway? It was like five-o-clock in the morning. He hadn't even cleaned up if the blood on his face said anything. I hope he wasn't going to look for those two assassins on his own, that would be a suicide mission. I draped my arm across my eyes, as if that would block out my thoughts.

I don't even remember falling asleep again but when I opened my eyes, the sun was shining brightly through the window. It had to be about mid-morning. I pushed myself into a sitting position and grimaced when I saw what I was wearing. I was still wearing the pajamas I put on two nights ago – that was so gross.

I got off the bed and tested out my ankle and smiled slightly. Just like I thought, it was pretty much healed. My powers may have caused me to have a difficult childhood but being somewhat of a superhuman really had its perks. I walked down the hall to my room and was about to go in when Allison left Luther's room.

"Hey. I just got Luther. You're going to want to see this too." Allison said and kept walking.

Luther came out of his room shortly after and furrowed his brows in confusion. I shrugged, just as clueless as he was and we followed Allison down the hall and around the corner. When we got to Graces favourite spot, we saw her lifeless body sitting on a cushioned bench. Her arm was cut open and her hardware was messed with. The cross-stitching that I saw her doing last night was hanging from a string that was stitched to her hand.

I frowned and covered my mouth with my hand. It was such an awful sight to see. I knew there was something wrong with her but that doesn't mean I wanted this to happen. I looked away when I saw Luther kneel down in front of her.