13 - I'm a Man

"Please! Please! Just kill me!" The man pleaded, cowering on the floor. He had just finished living through his worst nightmare before spilling all his secrets to me, "My boss will do it anyway. Just make it quick!"

We were in the middle of his hotel room which looked even worse than mine and that was saying something. He was a Soviet spy and had tried to infiltrate FBI headquarters. It was rare for a spy to get so close without me sensing that something was up but he stayed out in the open where I couldn't really see him, mainly because the FBI kept me to the shadows.

It's been almost four months since I accepted the job with the FBI and it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. I work for National Security and Terrorism just like Agent Cross said I would but they found a different use for my skills during my two-week training period.

Training to work for the feds was usually grueling, time consuming, and took months but when they saw what I could do, I was done after a couple weeks and put in the field. I wasn't a traditional FBI agent in the jobs they had me do. I was the one they could send out when they wanted things done off book – like if an investigation was taking too long. I was their own private mercenary of sorts and I hated every minute of it.

When something threatened national security that needed a quick clean up, I was their guy. I've been to eight major cities in the last three months. I just got back to Dallas two days ago and was sent to track down this asshole right away. He was smart, a little harder than the rest, but that didn't matter. I always found my target.

"Fine." I said.

I pulled a pistol from the pocket of my cinched trench coat and shot him in the head point blank. I sighed as I went to leave the room but caught my reflection in a dirty mirror that was mounted on the wall by the door. My hair these days was more often than not in a high tight pony but I had bangs now that fluttered across my forehead and framed the sides of my face. I always wore black high-waisted ankle pants and black loafers but my shirts always varied in style and colour. I wasn't willing to completely leave my old life and personality behind.

I walked out of the room and looked at the manager who was on the phone as he peered out of his office. He definitely heard the gunshot and was definitely on the phone with the police. It was time to deliver my report to Cross before the police arrived.

Our rendezvous point was a park bench near the FBI building. When I arrived, he was already there waiting. I sat down about a foot away, eyes straight ahead, "It's done."

"Good. Did he say anything?"

"He was supposed to meet an associate at noon tomorrow at a dive bar in the Bishop Arts District. Grotto." I informed, "He was supposed to receive a file."

"I'll get a team ready then. Anything else?" He asked.

"Nope, now if you don't mind. I actually want to rest. Don't call me for a few days." I said with a smirk as I stood up and began to walk away.

"Not even to have dinner?" He called out.

"I have a boyfriend Will, remember?!" I called back.

"Yeah! Who disappeared! You'll give in eventually!"

I paused for half a second but kept walking. I regretted telling Agent Cross that my boyfriend and my siblings have disappeared but I did it while we were drunk at the bar one night. Cross tried to come onto me but I deflected his advances. When he asked why I wouldn't give us a shot, I told him everything. Well, as much as I could without sounding like a raving lunatic.

He said he would help me at first. Cross looked through the FBI database but found nothing. I asked him if I could try looking since there might be something small that could give me a lead but he said it was against protocol. Despite working for the FBI, there were certain clearances that I didn't have. I thought about glamouring him but I can only do one person at a time and headquarters was full of too many people who would ask questions.