2 - One Girl Revolution

"Hi Julian, my name is Dr. Hargreeves. It's very nice to meet you." I said to the quiet eight-year-old boy in front of me.

I was kneeled down to his level to make myself appear less intimidating. It was hard to do while wearing a blouse and pencil skirt but I managed. I usually try for casual attire when speaking to my child clients but my last three appointments were adults and I didn't have time to run upstairs and change.

The boy didn't reply, just stared at the floor stubbornly and angrily. I sighed and stood up to look at his mom who was standing behind him with a hand on his shoulder. She was sad and heartbroken as well which was understandable considering her husband just died but as much as I wanted to help her, she wasn't my client today.

"If you're comfortable with it, I'd like to try to speak to Julian alone. Kids tend to open up more when their parents aren't around." The mother hesitated, squeezing her sons' shoulder firmly, "There is a waiting chair just outside the door and I will leave it unlocked. If anything happens or you get too nervous, you can come back in at any time." I reassured her.

She nodded and smoothed out her son's shirt before kissing the top of his head and leaving, shutting the door softly behind her. Once gone, I looked down at the boy and smiled gently, though he couldn't see it.

"How about we play a little?"

The boy looked around, "You don't have any toys in here."

"Hmm...that's true." I said as I tapped my chin and went over to the coffee table. I lifted the top of the coffee table to reveal a compartment that held many boardgames, "But I have these and we can play anything you like."

Julian came over and looked through all the games carefully before deciding on Snakes and Ladders. I told him it was a good choice and helped him set it up before getting started.

I liked to think my office was quaint and homey. When I designed it, I wanted to make the atmosphere as relaxed as possible. If it was too prissy or pristine, people wouldn't feel as comfortable talking about thier issues. It needed to have a living room feel, not a hospital one and I think I succeeded.

There were large windows across the left wall which was opposite to the door to enter my office. The door to enter was thick mahogany and I tried to get my furniture to match. So, my bulky desk was of the same wood that rested under the window with a spinney leather chair behind it. Adjacent to that wall was a mahogany bookshelf that was filled with many psychology books – except for the bottom shelf which had a bunch of children's books. On the other wall there was a side board with pictures on it. Underneath was a chest that held a few toys but Julian didn't need to know that. It would negate what I was trying to do with him here today.

In the center of the room where Julian and I were was the coffee table we were playing the game on. Surrounding the coffee table was comfortable furniture to sit. There was a soft leather sofa where Julian sat and two chairs of the same material one of which I was sitting on. The room had hard wood flooring but underneath our feet was a red and black area rug.

There were lots of pictures on the wall too. Mostly of artwork I like and one or two of me and my family growing up, but neither passed the age of seventeen. There was a safe under my desk as well but no one needed to know that.

"You beat me again." I said as I moved the pieces back to the beginning, "You must play this game a lot with your friends and family."

Julian shrugged and rolled the dice, "Just my mom really."

"I'm sure you played with your dad a lot too."

"Not really. He was always working. He barely had time for me." He muttered angrily, "He didn't even come to my baseball games very often."