20 - Run For Your Life

We arrived at the farm about forty-five minutes later. I'm sure we could have made it there faster but the car was pretty weighed down. As we pulled into the driveway, I noticed the dark cloud above the barn and the surrounding area covered in snow. Whatever was happening was definitely not good. Was the boy, Harlan, really doing all this?

"So, you think whatever is happening inside is causing this cold front?" Diego asked as we all got out of the car.

"The correlation is high." Five said.

"More like definitive." I corrected.

A blonde woman – who I am assuming is Sissy – ran out of the barn with a shot gun and pointed it at Vanya. This was a seriously pissed off and scared lady.

"Sissy!" Vanya called, holding up her hands.

"You get the hell back!" Sissy screamed, not lowering her gun for a second.

I miss the days when I held a gun. It was so much more convenient than being weaponless. I mean, it was only just a few days ago but still. Vanya tried to talk Sissy down from shooting anyone and we all just stood back, just in case.

"What's wrong?" Vanya asked her.

"Karl." Sissy whispered.

"What did he do to you?" Vanya asked.

If I had to guess, Karl was the no-good two-bit husband. Men in this time period were such misogynistic assholes.

"He's... He's dead." Sissy forced out, "Harlan tossed him aside like a ragdoll. The same way you sent those policemen flying." Well, now we know the real reason Vanya was being held captive. "What did you do to him? Vanya, what the hell did you do to my son?!"

"We don't have time for this. We came here to help your son." Diego said, walking forward but paused when the gun was directed at him.

"Sissy, I found my family. These are my brothers and sisters." Vanya said, hoping that would get Sissy to lower the gun.

It worked, the gun was now pointing toward the ground, "Were you lying to me the whole time?"

"Of course not." Vanya said.

"If you're talking about her memory loss. It was real and probably the only reason the world is still left standing." I said from beside Allison.

"I know who I am now Sissy and we are not the monsters they say we are. We did not kill the president, we are not terrorists, we are not here to hurt anyone." Vanya said.

"Well... everyone except for Malia." Klaus clarified.

"Klaus! Really!" I snapped, sending a glare his way.

"What?... You WERE a kind of hitman." Klaus said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Who are you then?" Sissy asked.

"The only one who can help Harlan." Vanya explained.

Sissy stepped back and motioned for us to enter the barn. Vanya ran forward, the rest of us following her, and opened the barn door all the way. There, in the center of the barn was a ten-year-old boy floating midair with familiar energy whirling around him. He looked like he was possessed and I said as much.

"Believe me, that is not what it looks or feels like." Klaus said, coming up beside me.

"Harlan!" Vanya shouted, "I know you're scared but I can help you! I need you to listen okay? Can you do that?!"

Vanya entered the forcefield that was whipping around Harlan like a tornado and I watched and waited with baited breath. Vanya tried to calm the kid down the best she could with her words but it didn't seem to be doing much, he seemed too far gone. I wanted to help her, help the kid, but I was useless in this situation as were the rest of us.