14 - I'll Never Do You Wrong

Sixteen Years Ago...

I nervously walked to Mr. Hargreeves office and stood outside the sliding door. I've been with the Academy for a year now and have been training really hard to be on par with the others. I've even been training a little extra to be so. My academic studies have taken off to the point that my intelligence was on the same level as Five's, who was easily the smartest. My combat skills were coming along as well but I felt I was still coming up a little short and I think that's why Mr. Hargreeves wanted to talk to me.

I've been trying my hardest ever since I got here because I wanted to be worthy of the generosity that Mr. Hargreeves has bestowed. I felt if I wasn't good enough, he would send me back to the alley and I didn't want to go back. Despite his cold attitude towards us children and the blatant dislike displayed by Diego, I liked it here. I got along with everyone else wonderfully and I felt like I had a family again. I did not want that to go away.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door and fidgeted as I waited to be called in. I waited a moment or two and when I received no answer, I went to knock again. Before my knuckles could make contact however, I heard Mr. Hargreeves finally speak.

"You may enter." He said gruffly.

I slid the door open and stepped inside, standing at attention in front of his desk, "You wanted to see me sir?"

"Yes." He said, not looking up from what he was writing, "You've been excelling in all areas of study far more quickly than I anticipated for someone who hasn't attended any formal education. Although your combat skills still require extra attention, I'm not disappointed in the progress."

"Thank you, sir." That was as close to a compliment as any of us have really gotten from him.

"I wasn't finished." He said tersely, looking up from his notes. I refrained from saying 'sorry' knowing he wouldn't appreciate it. "I think it will be worth your while to add in another area of study. Therefore, starting tomorrow you will be training with Grace in medical treatment from 1pm to 2pm every day. Is that acceptable to you?"

He was asking as a courtesy but I knew there was only one right answer, "Yes sir."

"Good. You may go." He said and then looked down at his papers to continue his work.

The dismissal was so abrupt it left me a little jilted as I exited the office, closing the door behind me. I stood there, looking at the fringe of the Egyptian style rug, contemplating what just happened. Essentially, he said I was doing so well he wanted to give me more responsibility but we had Grace to deliver advanced first-aid if needed so why did I need to learn? More importantly, I didn't even know if I wanted to learn. If it came down to my medical skills to save someone, what if I failed?

"Did he kick you out yet?" Diego asked as he walked by.

I flitted my eyes to him and glared, "Sorry to disappoint but you're stuck with me."

--*--

"Stay with me Diego. You can't die on me." I said as I started to drag him toward the car with a lot of effort. I grunted as I managed to drag him one more foot before needing a break, "You're going on a diet if you live. I can't save your ass if I can't carry you." I muttered as I applied more pressure to his wound.

"Malia?" I looked up and saw Lila. She looked scared when she saw me kneeling over Diego.

"Lila! What are you doing here?! Did you follow us?"

"Is he..." She started, not answering my question.

I looked back down at my bloody hands that were covering the knife wound, "He's not dead. Not yet at least but I can't move him by myself and I don't have any medical supplies with me."