3 - I Think We're Alone Now

I looked up at the building before me with a weary gaze. There were lion statues imbedded in the walls on either side of the staircase that lead up to the front doors. They were large, heavy wooden French doors with frosted glass which were engraved with umbrellas. I've passed the building many times over the years - living in the same city, it was kind of hard not too – but it's been twelve years since I've stepped inside.

Aside from Luther, I was the last to leave. Mr. Hargreeves did a lot for me by taking me in when I was eleven years old and I had a hard time just letting that part of my life go even though I wanted more. I eventually found the courage to leave and go to college though and I'm proud of who I am and what I've accomplished. I still feel bad that I wasn't here to say goodbye but I suppose everyone takes life for granted in some way or another.

I went up the steps and entered into the immaculate foyer of the prestigious house just to see Allison and Vanya slightly to the right of small center table and Diego trudging up the stairs.

"At least I'm wearing black." He called down to the two, not even registering that I just walked through the doors.

"Maybe he's right and I should go..." Vanya said quietly, glancing back at me.

"Don't listen to him. I'm glad you're here." Allison said and then turned to me as well, "I'm glad you're both here."

She gave each of us a hug, "Am I the last to arrive?" I asked.

"I just got in too." Vanya said quietly.

I smiled slightly at Vanya, "How are you Vanya? I read your book; it was very well written." Was all I could say, considering it kind of bashed the Hargreeves family.

I don't blame her; she was kind of the odd one out and disregarded by pretty much everyone. I still tried to make her feel as significant as the rest of us though since she was more a part of the family than I was. The things she wrote in the book about me however, were harsh and degrading, making me seem patronizing and cruel. If that's how she saw me while we grew up, she should have said something because that was never my intention.

"You read my book?" Vanya asked hesitantly.

"Of course! I was proud of your accomplishment as a published author. I wanted to share in something with someone whom I thought to be close too... turns out I shared in it more than I originally thought." I forced a smile.

I saw the guilt in her eyes, "Malia, I'm -"

"Don't apologize Vanya. You can't help how you feel." I said, putting a hand on her shoulder, "I think I'm going to go see how what my old room looks. It's been awhile."

I took my leave and went upstairs. I had a small bag with me since I thought I might stay a couple days but now I'm wondering if I even should. It's not like I live far, I was easily accessible if they needed me.

I pushed the door open to my room and saw that it was exactly as I left it. There wasn't even a speck of dust and the red sheets and black duvet looked freshly washed. My pens and pencils were still in a cup on my desk, sketchbook neatly placed in the center. My dresser still had my jewelry box with my

old hairbrush placed in front of it. Stickers lined the edge of my mirror, some of them lifting up at the corners but mostly still intact. Before understanding what true art was, I was like any other teenaged girl and had posters of the Jonas Brothers, Maroon 5, and Usher on walls. They were there still but a little faded.

"You made it back I see." Diego said from behind me. A little too close but that was perfect. I turned quickly and punched him in the shoulder, "Ow! What was that for?"