17 - Wonderful World

I groaned at the sunlight hitting my face the next morning and tried to pulled the covers over my face. I say tried because I met some resistance in the form of my boyfriend. I finally gave up and flopped my arms down beside me as I squinted my eyes open.

"How are you feeling?" Diego asked.

"Like dog shit that got stepped in... twice." I muttered.

"You look it too but at least I made you shower last night." Diego said, "Why don't you get ready and come to the living room. Vanya is here."

"What? This early in the morning?" I asked, pushing myself to sit up.

"It's noon baby."

"Still, how does she not feel how I feel? Is she the Terminator or something? Like geeze."

Diego chuckled, "Just get ready."

He went to leave but I stopped him, "Diego... about last night. I'm sorry for being so sensitive. I'm just..."

"Just what?" He asked, sitting back down on the bed to face me.

"I'm tired of all the hot and cold of our relationship. One minute we're the golden couple and then next it's like we're back to how we were before. Maybe we're not as solid as I thought we were." I explained, thinking back to what Klaus said, "Maybe we're screwing this up... doomed to failure."

"Don't say that. Nothing is getting screwed up. We aren't supposed to agree on everything. It doesn't mean at the end of the day I don't know where I want to be. You're the psychologist, why am I the one counseling?" He chuckled.

I let out a breathy laugh, "I guess it's different when I'm the one with problems and not a client."

Diego leaned forward and kissed me quickly, "I'll deal with your problems too then. It's only fair since you're going to help me save Kennedy."

"Wait a minute. I never said I was going to help- and he's gone. I really will kill him one of these days." I muttered as I got up and got dressed.

I put on my tan ankle pants that I haven't worn in months and a green sleeveless turtle neck to help cover the abrasions on my neck at least a little bit. My belt was black and my loafers were black and my hair was in the high pony like usual. When I entered the living room I smiled at Vanya and then saw Luther checking out the invitation. That's right, we were invited to have dinner with Mr. Hargreeves tonight.

"I think it's a set up." Luther said.

"It might be but we should go anyway." Diego said, pulling on an atrociously orange button up t-shirt.

"That looks like the bedspread in my shitty motel room. Looking at it hurts my eyes." I said.

"This is 1960's fashion." Diego said.

Luther tossed the invitation on the table, "Didn't you already get stabbed by him once this

week?"

"Oh, don't worry. Me and him are going to have words."

"Malia, would you tell him that he's nuts?" Luther asked, shoving food in his mouth. I don't remember him ever eating so much.

"I could but it wouldn't do any good." I said, going into the kitchen to make some bacon. I really needed bacon.

"Vanya?"

"I think we should go." She replied.

"What? Out of all of us, you should hate dad the most." Luther tried.

"Oh come on, could he really be that bad?"

"Okay, let's see... he isolated you from the rest of the family." Luther started.