15 - I Was Made for Lovin' You

Fourteen Years Ago

Mr. Hargreeves liked to hold gala's twice a year starting when we were thirteen. Once at New Years and the other midsummer. He never told us who it was for but that we must attend and must always look our best. To be honest, it was the only time I ever saw him welcome company. I knew this was why he made us learn different types of ballroom dancing – it's so we wouldn't embarrass him in the eyes of the public.

Most of the time it was torturous because we were the only kids there. It also didn't help that the attendees would fawn over us as if we were God's greatest gift to this earth. Mr. Hargreeves would always introduce us at the beginning of the event as if we were debutantes coming out to society. Then he would make each of us dance. Luther would always dance with Allison; Diego would dance with Grace; Ben would dance with Vanya; and I would dance with Klaus.

This particular New Year's gala started off no differently. I was wearing a long-sleeved, navy blue, velvet gown that was tight in the bodice and then loosened and pooled to the floor around the waist. My hair was in an elaborate updo as I stepped down the grand staircase and stood across from Klaus. I liked dancing with Klaus, he always made it fun and we went through the motions with large smiles and dramatic affect much to our fathers' chagrin.

When the first dance came to an end, Klaus and I bowed to each other and then went to the food table to get something to eat. It took a lot of dodging the unwanted attention of some of the people but we made it there eventually.

"Do you think dad would notice if I drank some champagne?" Klaus asked.

I giggled, "Depends what you mean by 'some'."

"Just a glass... or three." Klaus said, pilfering two flutes of the bubbly liquid from a server that walked by.

He handed me one with a flourish and I took it without hesitation, "Why thank you kind sir."

"Anything for milady." Klaus said in a faux British accent.

"Would you two stop flirting? People are starting to look at you with disgust. You're meant to be siblings." Diego said as he came over and pulled a few grapes from the fruit tray.

I looked around and saw no such looks, "Are you jealous that you don't have someone like me to flirt with?"

"Someone like you? I'd rather kiss a porcupine." Diego muttered.

"I could help make that happen you know." I hinted at using my power on him.

"Diego, why do you have to be so mean? Just tell Malia how pretty she is and be on your way." Ben said, coming up to stand to the other side of me.

"Why would I lie?" Diego asked and then eyes me, "You look like a blueberry just threw up on you. Maybe I was wrong and THAT'S why people are actually staring."

I looked around everyone again but self-consciously this time, a few people were looking in our direction. I knew it probably wasn't because of what I was wearing but the seed was still planted and I hated Diego for putting it there.

"You know, there are approximately 1, 010, 300 words in the English Language, But I can't seem to string enough of them together to properly express how much I want to punch you in the gut." I adapted a quote that Alexander Hamilton said to Thomas Jefferson but I doubt he's even heard the original.

"What-"

I quickly looked around and socked him in the gut as hard as I could. He gasped loudly and Klaus and Ben held him up so he wouldn't fall to the floor and make a scene. So far, no one seems the wiser of the little display of violence and I was okay with that. He glared at me as he held his stomach in pain, Ben and Klaus still holding up most of his body wait. I released a satisfied smirk in his direction before going over to where Vanya stood by herself in a corner.