22 - All The Way

15 years ago

I was in my room, wanting to be by myself for my short bit of leisure time Mr. Hargreeves granted us. I had the radio on a station that plays ballads and was sitting at my desk drawing. I liked to draw sometimes because it calmed me. I wasn't that great of an artist but I wasn't horrible either. Right now, I was doing what a normal teenager would be doing at the age of fifteen. I was drawing what my future wedding dress would look like.

I've drawn many styles and kinds of clothes that I would like to own one day. I thought maybe a possible career path was fashion designer if I was ever to leave the Academy. Once I put the finishing touches on my dress, I stood up with my sketchbook and admired it. It was my best work yet.

I smiled as Frank Sinatra's 'All The Way' came on the radio next. I put my sketch down and pretended I was asked to dance. I put my hand on my chest delicately before taking the invisible man's hand. I began to dance around my room with my 'partner' with my eyes shut and a dreamy smile across my lips. I imagined I was older, wearing the dress I just designed, dancing with the man I just married.

I pictured marrying a ruggedly handsome man. Someone who was a little rough around the edges but wasn't afraid to show me their sweet side. He was taller than me of course because that was the natural order. He had dark features because I always found that to be more attractive than a preppy blond prince.

"What are you doing?"

I was broken out of my daydream and turned quickly toward my bedroom door. I forgot I left my door open, letting the last person I wanted to see, see me do something so embarrassing. I dropped my arms and dealt with my embarrassment the only way I knew how when it came to Diego. I glared at him in anger.

"What are you doing here? And why are you watching me?" I snapped.

"I was on my way to Luther's room when I noticed you horribly dancing to that awful song." He said distastefully.

"My dancing is superb. I've taken all the same lessons as you, you know." I said haughtily, "And for the record, Frank Sinatra is a fabulous musician but I wouldn't expect you to know that. Your musical taste is subpar compared to mine."

"Tell that to the Jonas Brothers poster on your wall." Diego said sarcastically.

I couldn't help being offended, "The Jonas Brothers are kind-hearted, charitable, and compassionate individuals. Unlike YOU. I'd be lucky to be able to marry any one of them." Or someone like them anyway.

"Marry them? Why would anyone want to marry you?" Diego sniggered, "I know I wouldn't, not even if you were the last girl on earth."

"Go away!" I screamed and picked up my hairbrush from my dresser. I threw it with all my might but he was already down the hall. My hairbrush hit the wall and thumped to the floor.

"You missed!" He called.

--*--

It's been three weeks. Three weeks since Diego helped me pack up all my clothes. Three weeks since Diego insisted, I move into his apartment (apparently, he had a two bedroom above his P.I office in this timeline). Three weeks since I left the cheating scumbag and started planning for the wedding I ACTUALLY wanted.

A wedding that was happening today. Diego and I didn't want to wait and have a long engagement. We just wanted to start our life together already. It was going to be a small ceremony that Mr. Hargreeves allowed us to have at the Academy. It seems that Mr. Hargreeves really HAD changed from the man we once knew... at least a little.

Allison, Vanya, and Klaus were upstairs getting ready with me. Claire was here as well and she was going to be the flower girl. She was a sweet girl. I asked Allison and Vanya to stand with me, since I knew Diego had asked Five and Luther to stand for him. Allison said yes, of course, and wore a beautiful lilac sequined dress. Vanya asked if she could play the violin as I walked down the aisle instead, so was wearing a tailored womans pantsuit. It suited her more than I think a dress would anyway.