Chapter 16

Jeongin sat on his window as he stared at the moon. Something was bothering him. The emptiness that was strangling his heart. His 'friends', the 'voices' have gone way too long. He wanted to call them, but his ego stopped him. He's still mad for the thing that 'they' have done to Hyunjin. His best friend was still terrified. He got up and checked at every corner of the room. The stars he drew started to fade. He didn't know what to do because there's no way he could find blood to redraw the stars.

So, Jeongin grabbed a red marker and started drawing, thinking that it could somehow replace the blood. Standing at the centre of his room, he looked around. Nothing changed. A sigh could be heard from the boy as he gave up and laid on the bed. Entering the dreamland, the boy didn't realize the five figures standing at the end of his bed, looking at him.

---

Coming back from school, Jeongin went to the backyard and checked the tree. He found out that not a single carcass in the tree hollow. Even though as far as he could remember, there were supposed to be four dead animals he threw inside it. Frowning, he went to his room. Sitting in the middle of the room, the boy recited the spell that had been taught by the 'crow'. To his oblivious, the room started to get dark even though it was still bright outside. Thinking that nothing happened, Jeongin gave up and decided to try next time. Not knowing that his unintentional 'ritual' had brought back the evil.

It was midnight when Mr. Yang went to the kitchen to quench his thirst. His legs stopped as he looked outside the glass door. In the backyard, wandering around a creature that was too big to be a dog but too small to be a wolf. The man slid the door open as the creature crawled behind the tree. Suddenly, a woman walked out from behind the tree with nothing, but a piece of thin chiton covered her body.

The woman smirked as she leaned against the tree as the man approached her. The mysterious lady circled the tree followed by Jeongin's father. In the blink of an eye, the woman vanished from his sight. Shocked, the man froze. But unfortunately, when he turned around, the woman shoved him onto the ground. Her eyes turned bright yellow as she sat on top of him. Suddenly, the man's mouth opened so wide when the woman raised her arm. To his terror, her arm entered his mouth. Slowly, the arm went deeper and deeper from the wrist to the elbow to the shoulder. Mr. Yang's eyes turned white as the woman 'entered' his body. Out of the sudden, the woman was nowhere to be seen, leaving the man laying on the cold ground, trembling furiously.

A few moments later, Mr. Yang sat up as his eyes turned back to normal. He got up and entered the house with a very awkward walk. He went to his son's room and opened the door. He stared at the sleeping boy from afar, smiling like a maniac.

---

Jeongin opened his eyes to the familiar deserted road. Not knowing where to go, the boy moved forward. He walked and walked to where his legs took him when out of a sudden, a 'coyote' appeared on his right side. Scared, he stopped and got away from the 'thing'. The 'coyote' also stopped and looked at the latter as if 'he' was waiting for the boy to continue his walk. They looked at each other before Jeongin started his journey again and the 'thing' followed him. They walked for a moment when suddenly, a 'serpent' appeared on Jeongin's left side. With the trembling body, Jeongin didn't stop as it was the same serpent he met before. The three walked to a certain distance when Jeongin heard a familiar 'voice' called his name. 'He' was in front of him, in the dark.

"You came back." Jeongin said.

"Is this your friends?" the boy asked.

"Yes. They are the friends that I bring to you." 'he' said.

"I miss talking to you guys." Jeongin looked around.

The 'crow' landed in front of the boy.