Chapter 23: A certain place

Start from the beginning

Her eyebrows crinkled in worry.

"So it was you knocking at his door for a while, I thought it was a stalker or something like that", she muttered before going on, "Minho leaves early in the morning and comes back pretty late in the evening, sometimes even at night time. I thought you would know, I kind of assumed you guys were close", her worried expression deepened even more.

My hands automatically shot up in defence.

But why?

There was nothing that needed any invalidation.

I guess from her perspective it seemed like Minho was close with us, or maybe...

No Minho is close, there is no denying to that.

Why did I even want to deny that?

It was the simplest thing to realize.

Like a dagger her words hit me, realizing that I probably tried to find excuses or maybe the kind of pain to not know his habits when we were supposedly close to each other.

He has some habits I know about but—

"Thanks for telling me I— uh, will try coming some other time", I lied while I already planned to sit in front of his door until he comes back.

"That is a new kind of side, little girl. You are pretty much a bad liar. Come in, it's better than waiting for another hour in the hallway", I felt heat rushing into my cheeks as she caught me red-handed.

I just bowed my head in gratitude and went in, it was like an order not a proposal.

The fresh smell of plants and tea rushed into my nose, a smell that felt like a place of relaxation inviting you to stay for more than hours.

She motioned that I should sit on one of the white fluffy-looking armchairs and placed a cup of tea in front of me that smelt like chamomile.

"Make yourself at home", she said with a soft voice, but I still couldn't stop the tension my body felt, constantly feeling that I have to be on alert.

Due to the company president and her rules, we must have grown more aware of our surroundings, our bodies already reacting on their own.

Never trust anyone, always pretend, always play your best role.

I guess my body is slowly reforming to these rules.

"Are you waiting for him to practice together?", she simply asked me.

"N-no, we aren't practicing privately anymore. For a long time now", I tried to laugh off the fact she still thought I was having dance lessons alone with Minho.

I would have died young if that would have been going on until now, since he focuses on the whole group now, he can't chew me out completely.

"Oh I see, it was kind of refreshing seeing him meet up with people regularly and on top of that not being in a bad mood. Reminds me of the old times when he still rented that apartment for the first time, he was so young and unexperienced. Not even knowing how to search for part-time jobs to pay off his rent. I still remember it was the same as now, he went out early and came back late. I was always wondering if he ever rested. But I can tell you he was cheeky young man with a sharp tongue but a lot of dreams and goals. The kind of guy you want to hate but just can't", Mrs Kim was lost in her storytelling about young Minho.

I could imagine him vividly, young much younger and with that attitude of his.

He was never good with words I guess, at least P-love Unnie always described it like that but it seems it had some truth behind it.