Drenched

The fire pit was ablaze around us

The fire pit was ablaze around us. The small group surrounding the fire held most of the football team. A few girls that dated members of the team joined their boyfriends. There were a handful of faces I've never seen before. If I would've known this would be a small gathering, I probably wouldn't have come. So far, everyone has been nice. There were no snide remarks or side eyes. Just conversation.

The few girls in the circle weren't vicious like many of the other females in our school. Everyone hated me without reason. They chatted amongst themselves, laughing and joking into the cool night air. It was kind of cool. Their energy was tolerable.

I shook my head at the blunt Damon was reaching out to give me. I didn't smoke. I could barely throw back a shot glass. Those kinds of extracurricular activities didn't appeal to me. Damon ventured from his chair to pass it to Anna. She took it without hesitation. I didn't even know she smoked.

His body slid close to me before he fell into his seat. I should've chosen another seat. It felt weird being in a social gathering with him. Our interactions were always behind closed doors.

I scanned the line of trees in his backyard. Savannah disappeared into them with her boyfriend a while ago. They were doing the dirty. Anna was quiet on the other side of me. She looked sad but I couldn't be for sure. She was good at masking her emotions. I was horrible at comforting. I need to talk to her to make sure everything was okay. You never know what someone is going through.

I bump my arm against hers. "You good?"

She nods slowly. Her eyes were glazed over. I have a strong feeling that she's lying to me.

I cup her hand in mine trying my best to be comforting.

"Tell me later."

I don't let go of her hand until I see her nod. Whatever's going on in her personal life couldn't be good. Anna was never this sad. She was the perky one of our group. The one that was always smiling. I've never seen her go this long without smiling.

"Party inside!!" I hear a voice roar.

My eyes follow the sound. Sade was leaning on the door frame with a beer can in his hand. His shirt was off. I admired his muscular build. I never noticed how cute he was until now. Maybe it had something to do with him being half naked.

"If you don't want me to go over there and cut his tongue out, I'd advise you to stop looking." Damon seethed the words beside me.

I know he wasn't about to cut anyone's tongue out. Much less one of his best friends. I dismiss what he says with a snort. I turn to him instantly struck from his expression. Veins popped from his neck. He had his fists clenched in a ball. His face was red with fury. I don't think I've ever seen him this mad.

Fear slowly starts prickling into my system. He can't possibly cut someone's tongue out. It's insane but then again Damon wasn't too far off.

He stands and heads toward his friend. He slaps a hand on his forehead then mutters something in passing. Sade glares at his back before his eyes find mines. His pale lips stretch into a smile.