For Better Or Worse

Darkness surrounded me as I blindly walk deeper in the hall

Darkness surrounded me as I blindly walk deeper in the hall. At the end of the corridor, I faintly see fours figures walking through a door. Tip-toeing my way to the end of the hallway and peek inside door they disappeared into. I was sure that I was hidden.

I can hear them muttering. I press one side of my face into the crack of the door. I could see them inside. The men stood next to a wooden desk. I watch them as their mouths move. They were all speaking at the same time. Their voice jumbled together. I had no idea what they were saying. Then I hear Damon's voice.

"Accept the deal Gino. I wouldn't have requested you be here if I didn't trust these men." Damon said to the men.

The guy next to him had a deep frown on his face. Gino, who I assumed Damon was referring to, growled out a response.

"That's his way of saying yes..." Damon chimes in.

He smiles at the men standing opposite of them. Both of their faces were blank. I hear one of them start to speak.

"The money." His eyes lock on Damon.

He was here for business that much was clear. Damon nods before turning to a briefcase on the desk. He pricked open the latches. There were bills lining the inside of the briefcase. My eyes widened. The man that just spoke nodded when he examined the wads of cash. Damon shut the briefcase. Then he hands it to the man. I guess all was good.

"I'll be in touch about the package. There's a new shipment that arrives on the same day every month. It good to have you on the team."

He extended his hand towards him. He shakes it before his hand disappears into his pant pocket. Both of the mysterious men nod. Who were these men?

A moment passes before they start towards the door. I flash to my feet and I rush down the hall. I ran down the hall like my life depended on it. I release a harsh breath when I'm back on the Club floor. I search the room until I spot my friends sitting at the same booth from earlier. I release a breath of air as I step up to the table. They were so gone. I was driving home tonight.

At the truck, I hear no protests when I blurt out that I'm driving. There was no way Savannah was driving in her state. Otherwise, we'd end up in a ditch somewhere. They owed me big time and they didn't even know it yet.

The drive home seemed longer than the time it took to get to the club. Darkness had a way of making time drag on and on. Fifteen minutes felt like thirty when only five minutes had passed. It was the craziest thing.

Our night ended in the early hours of the morning. Daylight was breaking by the time we made it back to my place. There weren't any words exchanged between the three of us as we tread into the house.

Exhaustion fogged my brain. We were too tired to speak in my room. My friends moved like zombies. Throwing a pillow and a blanket on the floor to create their own makeshift beds around the foot of my bed. I slink under the covers. I wiggle into a comfortable position.