Outcast

Before parting ways, we agree to meet outside the building before lunch

Before parting ways, we agree to meet outside the building before lunch. Everyone in the school was scheduled to have lunch at the same time. The cafeteria looked large enough to fit the entire 300 students that attended the school. Third period dragged. My first two classes weren't so bad because Savannah was in them. Biology and German wasn't as exciting.

When I was growing up, I wanted to teach English. I had a passion for writing at a young age. When I was eleven, I entered a writing competition. I came in first place. That triggered the beginning of my writing journey.

Since then, I was dedicated to improving my literacy skills. After enduring the last few weeks, I didn't have the mental capacity or patience to deal with kids. Hence, the book of poems I'd spent several months working on. Granted when my grandmother passed, I took a well-deserved sabbatical from the pages of my journal. I was slowly getting back into my normal routine. Using my grief to express my emotions on paper. In a way it was helping me heal.

Savannah and I met outside the building. We became fast friends. We have a lot of things in common.

She hugs me when I reach her.

"Hey girl. Sorry I should've asked before...you know."

I shrug before my lips creep into a smirk. "It's cool."

A laugh seeps from her mouth before she wades her arm through mine. She pulls me to follow her.

She moaned theatrically beside me. "Come on girl. I'm freaking starving."

I raise my eyebrows. We pad through the grass towards the Cafe building near the back of campus. A group of five glaring females watched us as we pass. They're standing against a massive tree between the Cafe building and Theatre Center. Savannah seems unfazed by the girls. I catch them whispering when I glanced back.

"Welcome to fucking hell." Savannah whispers next to me.

The cafeteria looks like a food courts in some high-end mall. I peek at Savannah and watch her expression turn sour. I follow her into the lunch line and grab a tray from the lever. My eyes lock on Savannah's back before I start filling my tray with food.

I really hope this year flashes by.