Games

Memories of my life back in Washington flooded my thoughts

Memories of my life back in Washington flooded my thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about my Grandma. I always felt like she was near. I was yearning to hear her voice. I wanted to pick up my phone and call back home. Only there was no family to call or friends to vent to. With my mental state I can't handle finding out someone had moved into our home. That apartment held all the memories from my childhood.

It was a horrible feeling when you felt alone. There was no peace of mind when it came to loss. I craved the days I would ask for advice.

I thought back to our last real conversation when we were in the kitchen. She was stirring her famous spaghetti.

"Honey, I'm proud of you, you are focusing on studies instead of dem boys." She said in a light voice.

"Yeah, well I don't think I'll ever be in a relationship. Boys only bring problems."

She stopped stirring the spaghetti and turns to look at me. "Baby, don't let all dem hurt feelings win over your right to happiness. Not every man is like your daddy."

I watch her limp to the seat on one of the stools and sit on it.

"I know, Grandma. That's just not my focus right now..."

Her wrinkly skin around her mouth tightened, before her lips pulled into a smile. Without answering her, I got up from the island stool. I pulled over the cabinet and grabbed the seasoning salt from the top shelf.

"Thanks baby. Don't worry, God didn't put you here to be unhappy. You just Gotta find your purpose in this world..."

That was her last words before she got up and limped into the next room.

Every memory was a delicate flower in desperate need of watering. The lines and sharp features of her face were fading in my mind as time lengthened. I was struggling to take a breath of air. It was hard to breathe without Grandma here with me. She was gone. In a way, a little piece of me died with her that day. There was nothing you can do about fate. Good or bad, you just had to find a way to live with the loss.

My mood was sour the days that followed. When I was in a mood it was safer to stay away. My friends caught on to that quickly.

The first two days were gloomy. The weather was to blame. The day always went slower when it rained. My self-loathing made focusing harder during school as the days trickle by. I wasn't sure I was even passing my classes. It wasn't until Howard stopped me from leaving class one morning, to speak in private, that I knew I was behind.

"Rome, I've noticed you've been absent in my class lately. Is everything okay..."

No.

"I'm fine, there's a lot going on at home." I trail off.

Lie.

Howard watched me briefly before moving from behind the desk to stand to his full height.