Welcome Home

Yawning from hours of sleep, my body faltered

Yawning from hours of sleep, my body faltered. My neck was sore from being twisted and my muscles cramped. The sudden shock of my bones cracking snapped my eyes open. I stretch and glance out the window.

The day was almost over, the sunset replaced the heat of the scorching sun long ago. The oranges and blues fazed by, like blurry artwork. Our trip had started in the early morning. Ironically, on the flight here, I dropped my phone in the toilet. I unassumingly placed it in my back pocket out of habit, but now I was reaping the repercussions of that. I didn't have a working phone and that was an issue. I didn't have many friends, but the handful of people I vowed to keep in touch with back home were like family; they practically treated the kids on our block like their own. You could always count on someone in our neighborhood to look out for you, we were a close-knit community despite our poverty.

My legs cramped and butt ached from being pasted in the seat all day. It seemed like half a day's drive and we still haven't reached our destination. I heard the state of California was huge and depending on the city you were driving to it could take hours. I couldn't muster up the courage to ask Aaron how long it would be before we arrived. It was hard to see the stranger next to me as my father. DNA says he's my father but he was just another person to me. Despite his relation to me I was always shy around strangers so why would it be another different with a man I've never met in my life.

A metal gate stood ahead, blocking our path. The truck slowed to a stop and my body was screaming to stretch. The driver put the car in park. The driver's door opened as he slid out the vehicle. Some kind of keypad stood inches from the man as his fingers tapped the rectangular device. Pressing a final key, a clicking noise sounded as the gate slowly squeaked open. Propping himself back inside the vehicle, we propelled deeper down the pavement.

Mansions flashed by slowly as we continued further into the neighborhood, mass of trees separating each luxurious house. I peeked to my left, where Aaron was sitting. He leaned lazily in the cushion, body corned between the window and door. His attention was drawn on the phone in his hand; slim, lean fingers tapped passionately on the screen. His expression is passive as his eyes flow to his laptop.

The extravagant jet that flew us here to the fancy truck that was waiting for our arrival was clear indication that Aaron was loaded. I knew this kind of lifestyle wasn't easy to obtain, likely making him a busy man. I could tell technology was his life. He was probably a workaholic, who was evidently just as obsessed with technology as the rest of us millennials.

Passing by two mansions, the truck slowed before turning into a wide gravel path. Trees lined either side as we ascended further down the pathway. All to suddenly, the pathway opened into a large cul-de-sac. The tiny circular was divided by a small grass filled walkway leading to the front door. A small waterfall ornate sat in the center of the walkway. The landscaping was out of this world.

The driver parked the vehicle in one of the spaces before cutting the ignition. Before I could blink, the driver shut the door behind his frame. Seconds later, Aaron's door breezed open while the driver patiently waited for him to exit. Without glancing my way, Aaron got out the truck, his phone rang with one of those mediocre ringtones. He throws the phone to his ear and mumbles into the device. I heard his shoes crunching on the gravel as he moved towards the house.