Chapter 41.

RECAP

"Fried rice, Chicken and drink for the two of us." He still ordered for two people. What part of I am not hungry does he not understand?

UWA

"I am sorry." He says once the waiter leaves and reaches out to touch my hand. I yank it off my laps before he even has access. We engage in a mini staring contest before I finally decided to speak.

"You don't have to be." This situation we are in is realling breaking me deep down but this is what he has forced us to.

"Do I at least get a chance to explain everything to you? After that, I won't interfere in your decision." He says with a sad smile adorning his face. A smile that did not reach his eyes. We are both hurting but it is more painful to me because he initiated everything. If only he had seen through her act and believed me.

"I was willing to bear everything, Deji. I thought you would come around someday but how wrong I was." I say, hissing.

"But I'm here, doll face."

"You chose to believe her. You made us like this. Do I even make the cut to know what happened between you two? If I had not sent in a resignation letter, would you have taken any action?" I ask with raised eyebrows and looking at him with scrutiny. When we shared secrets about ourselves, he never told me about her.

"God, I messed up. I messed up something beautiful with you. Uwa, please just hear me out. Please, my special Gift." He pleads, looking very frustrated as he forcefully wipes his hand across his hair. The waiter comes back with our order, drops it and takes his leave.

"Go on." I say to him.

"So, I met Deborah in my University days. She is a Nigerian but had stayed in England longer because her dad works there. We immediately got off on a good note and started a relationship six months after. Throughout my University days, I had eyes for only one woman; her. However, someone started stealing from me. Little at first but massively as time progressed. Then, I was already infatuated by her that when she was caught, I forgave her and continued the relationship. She is one bitter part of my life I would trade for anything. I almost killed myself because of her, she turned me into the person you met. My parents did not even know; neither did my sister. It was Timi all along. He knew everything and helped me in my darkest moments. She could control and bend me to her will. That was how bad it was." He pauses to take a deep breath before he continues.

"I know all these are not excuses. I could have used my senses when she came back after all these years. I am sorry, Uwa. I swear, nothing intimate happened between us. I was just angry at myself, hence always snapping at you. I could not bring myself to open up to you and when the fight happened, I was blinded by my rage. I take full responsibility for what I have done and I hate myself right now but please don't make it any worse by hating me. Please, forgive me, sweetheart." He sounded sincere but what exactly was blocking the forgiveness even after three months? Could it be as a result of just seeing him again or have we lost our zing?

He picks up a fancy bag from the floor and drops it in front of me.

"Timi and Shalewa are getting married next two weeks. Shalewa sent the marriage clothe when she heard I was coming to see you. Also, details of the venue is also in there. Please accept it even if you won't attend." I could see the sadness in the depth of his eyes. I just shake my head at him. Till now, none of us has touched our food. I am not hungry and even if I am, there's no appetite for food right now.

"I got your letter also. I love you, Uwa. I have never told you this before but trust me, I do."

I cough uncontrollably at his revelation, trying to supress the urge to cry but no, those stubborn internal fluids finally found their way out.

"Please, I can't do this any longer. If you see me on the wedding day, I have forgiven you. If not, goodbye, Deji." With tears in my eyes, I pick up my bag and that containing the cloth, run out of the plaza and immediately hop into a bus that goes in my direction.

I kept using the back of my palms to wipe off the tears that flowed uncontrollably but they just could not stop. I am hurting deeply. Now that he has finally said the words, it still hurts.

"Aunty, hope nothing?" A concerned passenger asks. I could not talk all I could do was shake my head and force a smile. She looks at me with pity and turns her head to look outside the bus through the windows.

When I finally get home, I had forcefully dried my tears. With my face on the ground and earphones in my ears, I walk to our apartment, knocked and got in.

Later that evening, we were having dinner and my mom just kept staring at me when she thought I wasn't looking.

"Iye, vbo khin (mummy, what is it)?" She shakes her head signifying nothing but is quick to move her hand in a gesture that indicates 'later'.

•••••

After my two siblings slept, my mom called me to the parlour to have the talk.

"Who be that man wey come today (who is that man that came today) ?" She asks. I thought she was busy.

"My boss, mummy." I say, trying to play it cool.

"Shebi you say dem give you break (I thought you said you were given a break)?" She asks, squinting her eyebrows.

"Yes, mummy." I answer her.

"Why your oga for work con dey find you reach house (why will your boss come here looking for you) ?" You really cannot get wiser than your parents no matter how you try. See how this woman just figured me out.

"Mummy, the matter plenty o (it's a long story)." The raise of her eyebrows alone was enough to get me spilling everything that happened to her.

"Uwa, na you know how the two of una take be (you are the one that understands the relationship). My advice be say make you forgive am (I advice you to forgive him). Men dey always do omomo thing (men behave like babies). The man no go just follow you from lagos con Benin if na play e wan use you play (if he wasn't serious, who would not look for you all the way from Lagos). Carry that cloth go give Mama Munira, she go sew fine style for you (Give Mama Munira the cloth to sew a nice style for you)." I hug my mum tightly, happy that I have finally let it off my chest.

I pick up my phone and dial Nimi.

"Hello. Good evening. Please who is this?" She asks. Just to be clear, I also changed my phone number and avoided Whatsapp.

"Nimi." I say.

"Uwa. I have missed you. What did Deji do? I have been pissed, he made my bestfriend disappear." I could already imagine her face.

"Don't worry, I am coming back. Hope I can still come over to stay."

"Before nko? It is our place. When are you coming?"

"Next weekend." Now that that is done, it's time to start on a fresh page. Talking to mom just made me realize something, forgiveness is the only way to move forward. Relationships are not perfect or like anything we see on TV or social media. Couples have severe misunderstands too and if you would forgive your partner in four months, why not just forgive the person and prevent all the broken heartedness you both would feel? It might not be easy but you would just have to work together.

I can't wait to see my love!